Chapter 46

#COMM

Chapter 46

Jasper almost flew his way towards JJ's room. Hindi pa man ako nakaka-galaw sa kinatatayuan ko ay nandoon na agad siya sa kwarto ni JJ.

"Wait," Addie said when I attempted to take my first step. "Here," she said, handing me a pack of tissue. "Wipe your tears. Don't make JJ hate his Dad more."

Hindi agad ako naka-galaw dahil sa sinabi ni Addie. I didn't want JJ to hate Jasper. I tried to explain to him what was happening, but it seemed like JJ's mind was already closed for any explanation. Ang mahalaga lang sa kanya, nakita niya ako na umiiyak... It's almost like he already concocted inside his head that Jasper's the enemy and that we should leave immediately...

Matapos kong punasan ang luha ko, huminga ako nang malalim. Addie was right. I shouldn't cry in front of JJ. I didn't want him involved in this mess. This was the very reason why I chose to leave instead of staying. I wanted to protect him from the things that might hurt him...

"JJ," I heard Jasper saying, but JJ wasn't looking at him. My heart hurt when I saw both of our bags lying on the floor. He wasn't only packing his things—he's also packing mine.

"JJ," I called. "Your Dad's talking to you."

But JJ was deaf to all our calls. He was sitting on the floor, folding our clothes and putting them inside the bags. Napa-pikit na lang ako. I really didn't know where he got that trait! He's such a sweet boy until you get him mad. That's when he'd shut up and never talk to you again.

I stepped inside and sat beside him. "JJ..." malambing kong tawag sa kanya. "We're not leaving the Philippines." He continued to pack. "How will you even leave, huh? Do you know the way to the airport? Do you have money to buy your ticket?" I asked while caressing the top of his head.

He snapped his head towards me. "I want to leave."

"Why?"

He looked at Jasper, and I wished he didn't do that because that look of hurt and betrayal in his eyes were just too much... even for me... paano pa kay Jasper?

"I don't want to stay here anymore."

I bit my lower lip. "But why? You were the one who's very excited to go home, right? You were very excited to meet your Dad..."

He nodded. "I already met him. I'm fine with that."

Agad akong napa-pikit. Gusto ko siyang pagalitan, pero natatakot ako na baka mas lalo siyang magdamdam. I didn't want to further the drift. I was afraid that he'd be more closed off if I'd lecture him.

"JJ..." Jasper called. He kneeled so he's face to face with his son. "Please don't leave."

I stared at JJ's face as he was trying his best to fight his tears. But my son's wasn't that strong yet. Kitang-kita ko kung paano nagtutubig ang mga mata niya... kung paano isa-isang bumabagsak ang luha niya.

"I wanna leave. You're just hurting my mom."

"He's not hurting me," I said.

"Stop lying, Mommy. I saw you cry," he said, facing Jasper as his tears continued to flow. "You made Mommy cry once, and I was ready to forgive you for that. But you made her cry again. I hate you."

Muli na naman siyang bumalik sa pag-e-empake. I was afraid to see the look on Jasper's face. It hurt. It hurt a lot. Naririnig ko pa lang iyong sinasabi ni JJ, nasasaktan na ako... Paano pa siya na sinasabihan ni JJ?

I stood up and asked Jasper to leave the room. I knew my son. There's nothing that we could say now that would matter to him. His mind's too closed off. He needed time and space to think.