Chapter 31

#COMM

Chapter 31

My heart was dangerously pounding inside my chest. I quickly reached for the door in an attempt to open it, but Kellan held my hand.

"Let go," I hissed. I tried to break free from his grasp, but Kellan wouldn't budge. Gone was the playful Kellan. He looked like he meant business.

Kellan ignored the seriousness in my voice, and instead, said, "Balik na tayo sa bahay." Biglang nanlaki ang mga mata ko. We just freaking heard a gunshot! My mind was half-crazy thinking about what could've happened! Tapos sasabihin niya na aalis kami?!

The driver heeded Kellan's order and began to speed away. My mouth was left hanging open, unable to believe that we'd just flee and not even try to know what happened to Jasper and Nico!

My chest was heaving in anger. I couldn't breathe properly. I wanted to lash on someone.

"If something happened to them—" I began, but Kellan cut me off. He looked at me, all seriousness was visible on his face.

"I'd deeply regret it, but an order is an order, Ma'am. Your safety is paramount," he said, but I continued to glare at him. I couldn't recognize who was in front of me, like the Kellan I knew completely vanished, and there was a stranger in front of me—a stranger who was completely devoid of any emotion, and just a mere puppet who was designed to follow orders given to him.

Hindi ako makapaniwala sa narinig ko sa kanya.

"It's Nico... and Jasper. How can you say that?" I asked him, but instead, he just diverted his gaze elsewhere.

Sinubukan ko na tawagan si Addie, pero walang sumasagot sa akin. Pakiramdam ko tuluyan na akong tatakasan ng bait ko. I just wanted to know what was happening, to know that they're safe... but I felt completely useless.

And completely to be blamed. I was the one who brought this upon us. If only I didn't meet that fucking asshole... hindi naman mangyayari 'to.

Hanggang makarating kami sa bahay, hindi ako makapagsalita. Tahimik lang akong naghihintay ng balita—kung ano na 'yung nangyari... Tahimik na nagdadasal...

"Ma'am..." Kellan said, the gentleness in his voice was quite apparent again. "Babalitaan na lang namin kayo kung ano 'yung nangyari."

I stared at him, trying my best not to blame him. He was just following orders... but I still couldn't instill it in my mind how he could just completely detach himself of feelings.

I could never be as heartless as him. I would always care.

"I'll stay," I breathed.

"Ma'am—"

"I'm already close to doing something drastic, Kellan, don't push me," I warned him. Nanatili akong nakaupo habang naka-tingin sa kanya. Bawat segundo na lumilipas, palala nang palala iyong kabog sa dibdib ko.

Why... wouldn't someone call?

Why... wouldn't someone tell us that everything's fine?

I didn't want to think that something happened, but my mind was already going to places that I didn't even want to consider.

Minutes passed, my hands were still trembling from worrying, nang biglang marinig ko na may kausap si Kellan. He was in a distant. I stood up and went near him, desperate to get at least an assurance that everyone's fine.

"Copy," he said. "Sige. Ingat kayo," he continued.

Nang maputol iyong usapan nila, agad niyang nakita na nakatayo ako sa likuran niya. I was looking at him, waiting for something—just anything.