Chapter 50

#COMM

Chapter 50

"What are you doing?" I asked as I saw him dialing his father's number.

"What I should've done a long time ago," he said. I could feel my heart beating faster by the second, but with the way Jasper held my hand, I couldn't help but feel secured. Pakiramdam ko... pakiramdam ko walang pwedeng manakit sa akin.

He told me before that he'd do anything to protect me...

And I believe him.

I believe him with all that I am.

"Dad," I heard him say. "I need something."

My whole body began to tremble with an unimaginable feeling.

"I'll text you the address. I will contact Mom, too. I need you two to be civil. At least for now," he quickly added before he ended the call. The call didn't even last for a minute, but it felt... so heavy. It felt like my whole world was about to turn upside down with this.

"Jasper, what are you doing? I asked again. I wanted to know what he was up to. I knew I was weak. I knew I was scared... but I wanted to help. Kasi kasalanan ko naman kung bakit kami nandito. It was my fault that this lasted this long... kung hindi ako naduwag dati, wala na sana kami ngayon...

But I made a hard decision. I chose JJ. But it wasn't late to makeup for being a coward. I hope it wasn't too late...

"Finishing this once and for all."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want to run away, Siobhan. If we run now, we'll run forever. I don't want that for you. This is your country. You shouldn't leave just because of him."

My lips were pursed together. He was right. It was my choice to run.

"Are your parents home?" he asked.

"I... I don't know," I said.

"Can you call them? And your grandparents."

"Jasper—"

But my words were cut off when I felt him holding my hand. He held my hand, and without words, he told me that he got this.

And I knew it in my heart... he got this.

* * *

My heart was beating dangerously fast when we arrived at home. When I saw familiar cars in the driveway, I knew that I was in for a long night. I knew that this wouldn't be pretty, but this was needed.

Jasper got this. All I needed to do was to have his back.

"Ready?" he asked as the car pulled over.

I looked at him and smiled. "Ready," I said although the only thing that I could feel in my heart was fear.

I could feel my knees shaking, but I held on to Jasper for strength. Habang papalapit kami ay nagsisimula ko nang marinig ang boses ng mga tao. I was glad that we didn't bring JJ with us... I wanted everyone to be briefed when they meet him. I didn't want JJ to be part of the confusion.

"Maggie."

Agad na nalipat ang tingin sa amin nang tawagin ang pangalan ko ni Mama. I smiled at all of them. I immediately turned my gaze to my grandparents. I could see Abuela's forehead creasing at the sight of Jasper standing beside me. I forced a smile. Why was she like this? She told me before that we're all making sacrifices for the family... pero bakit ganito? Ayaw niya ba akong maging masaya?

"What is this about?" Abuela asked. My grandfather was sitting quietly, as if he was assessing the situation. He has always been like this, so calculating... No wonder sila ni Abuela ang nagka-tuluyan. They're like this so fucking calculating couple—would do anything to stay above the rest.