Chapter 36

#COMM

Chapter 36

Jasper's face was unreadable. I didn't know what he was thinking as he was staring at me... All I knew was that I couldn't avert my gaze from the woman who was beside him.

Helene.

She must be Helene.

"Stop," I said when Jasper tried to walk towards me. I could see his face grimacing from the pain. Nakaramdam na naman ako ng galit para kay Justin! Ang kapal talaga ng mukha niyang saktan si Jasper! Nananahimik kaming dalawa! Hindi pa ba siya masaya sa lahat ng gulo na meron ang pamilya niya? Did he really have to involve us?!

I walked towards Jasper, and held his face. I didn't know if I was just... jealous, but from where I was standing, I could see Helene watching us like a hawk.

And the pained expression on her face couldn't be missed.

"Is the party done?" Jasper asked.

I shook my head, still caressing his face. I could feel myself relaxing as I stood before him. I just needed to know that he's fine. That's all that mattered to me right now. I couldn't be bothered to think about anything else.

I turned my face towards the woman. As much as I didn't appreciate her presence, I was raised to be respectful.

"Hi," I began. "I'm Maggie."

Pilit siyang ngumiti. "I know."

Bahagyang umangat ang kilay ko. Kilala niya ako? Tumingin ako kay Jasper para magtanong, but it seemed like he didn't approve of the idea of me talking to this woman. Tama ba ako? Ito ba si Helene na palagi nilang pinag-uusapan ni Evan dati?

Ano bang meron sa kanya? Should I be worried?

"You are?" I asked, unable to reign in the curiosity.

"Helene."

Bingo.

I was about to ask her, but Jasper was quick to guide me inside. I could see him grimacing with every step that he took, but it seemed like mas gusto niyang masaktan kaysa mag-usap pa kami ni Helene. He's seriously making me more worried! Sino ba iyong babae na 'yun? If she's not a threat, why go through all the trouble para pigilan kaming mag-usap?

"Who was that?" agad na tanong ko.

"Helene."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Was he serious? Ganito talaga siya sasagot? Good thing he sensed that I wasn't a bit amused with his answer. Jasper sighed.

"She's... my ex."

My lips parted. "Please don't tell me she's living here, too."

But Jasper didn't need to answer. Bakit siya dito nagpahatid if alam niya na dito rin nakatira si Helene? I mean, I get it na nandito siya kasi mas safe siya since dito si Evan naka-tira. But still! I didn't like this nasty feeling inside me! I didn't like sharing!

"Listen—"

"No, you listen!" I cut him off. I didn't know if it was the alcohol speaking, but I just felt so frustrated with everything happening! I felt like my world's spinning out of control. And it scared me. It scared me so much feeling that everyone's trying to control my life...

And I just have to sit here and watch them try.

It's suffocating...

"You want me to stay away from that devil spawn, tapos you're here shacking up with someone else?!" I shouted, pointing my finger at his face. He was looking at me, his lips parted... like he was surprised with what I was doing.