Chapter Four

Decan's Journal: It rang. The phone. My phone. A sound came out of it. That hasn't happened in over a year. Could it be? Are there really more or is this just a trick? What do we do? How do we react? 

    We both opened the door wide then slammed it shut after we ran in. We rushed to the phone and jumped to the couch. I grabbed the phone. The light blinking indicating some type of notification. Nervous to turn the screen on. My heart pounding quickly and hard. Sweat rolling down my face as my hands began to start sweat too. Miller and I stared at each other for at least a solid minute before we turned the screen on. Slowly, I clicked the power button. It felt like time slowed. The blinking light stopped flashing and the screen lit up. An anonymous user had sent out a message. 'I'm alive' it said. Miller's eyes began to tear up as a small smile appeared.

"See, what did I tell you? I knew there were others" He said as he hugged me.

"Let me send them our address. Then lets clear out the infected for when they arrive." I told him as I responded to the message with our address. 

    Before I could even sit the phone down another message came in saying, 'On my way there, excited to meet you'. I smiled at the message then grabbed my pistol and cocked it, then looked at Miller when he grabbed his shotgun. We nodded then both headed outside. 

   We killed the infected with precision surrounding the area. Blood everywhere and cold, mutated bodies falling to the floor with loud screeching sounds coming from them. One after one they fell to the floor. Within a matter of minutes we had killed at least one-hundred of them. Who knows how long it'd be before he.. or she had arrived at our home. We needed to clean up fast and get rid of them so she could have a safe entry. Shots continued to be fired, guns reloaded, and infected falling to the hot, hard sidewalk cement. 

   After ridding our surrounding area of the infected, we went inside. We waiting. Nervous and excited. Was it a he? Was it a she? How old were they? Are they from this area or just happened to be passing by? Are they alone?

"It's scary in a way. We haven't seen any other normal humans in over year. It's just been us two this whole time. Who knows what they'll look like, their personality, anything about them. Let's just hope they can get use to us" I said to Miller as I stretched and let out a small yawn followed by Miller yawning, then giving a small nod. Then there it was. 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

      We both stood up and slowly walked to the door. Our hearts pounding out of our chests, all of our emotions being stirred up into one stew. Who knew who lied beyond this door, but we sure planned on finding out. I grabbed a hold of the doorknob. I slowly turned it looking at Miller running his hands through his pitch black hair.

      I opened the door and saw her. A brunette with curly hair right to her chest. She was looking back until she heard the door opened. She turned and looked at us, her curly hair swiftly moving in the wind, her brown eyes shining under the suns harsh rays. She was carrying a plain black backpack with all sorts of key chains hanging from it. Assorted with a variety of colors a plain backpack was lit up and filled with life. There was silence for a moment. She smiled and revealed her dimples and her white teeth. She spoke. her voice was soft, smooth. A voice like an angels. Was it the truth? Or was it just me only hearing one voice for over 365 days in a row,so this one sounded great?

"I'm Kimberly Green." She said as she stuck her hand out. Miller and I both shook it. 

   "I'm Decan, Decan king, that is" I told her as I moved out of the way and made a hand gesture inviting her in.

"And I'm Miller Coy" Miller said as she walked past him. Silence filled the room once more.

"I'm sorry, we just.. we haven't seen anyone else in a long time its.. its shocking." I said as I let out a small chuckle.

"oh no, trust me I get it. You've just never seen a beauty like me" She said jokingly as she turned around and winked at the both of us before letting out a small giggle.

"This is a nice home you've got here.. How have you guys survived?" She asked as she looked around.

"Check the basement." Miller told her as he pointed to a a staircase headed downward that lead to a door.

     She walked down the stairs and opened the door and saw all the frozen meats. Then she heard the moo. She slammed the door shut and ran up the staircase as quickly as she could.

"was that a cow I heard?" she said excitedly.

"Yeah, look out the back sliding door." I told her as we walked to the couch and took a seat. She looked out, astonished.

"No way! Chickens too?!" She said glaring out with her forehead pressed against the glass, so close to it you could see her breath fogging up the glass.

"yep. We have everything we need for basic survival. And a little bit extra too." I said with a chuckle.

"Since we will most likely be seeing each other for the rest of our lives, maybe we should get to know each other a little bit more." Miller said following what I had spoken.

"Uhhh.. Okay! sounds like a plan. As I told you, I'm Kimberly Green, 17 years old, this year would have been my junior year in high school had the infection not struck. As for my life when the infection struck.. well, I had a mom, a dad, a sister, and a brother. The infection first got to my dad. We just thought it was a sickness, but then he started transforming into those horrid beasts that roam the streets day and night. He uhh... he.." She said before she sniffled then turned around. 

   "It slaughtered my mom right in front of my eyes. She was helpless, but so were we. My siblings and I hid but he soon found us. He dragged my sister out from under the bed and ripped her apart, tainting my room with the retched smell of blood. My brother decided to take action, he charged out from the closet with a pocket knife and he just went for the head. He stuck the knife right into the back of its head and it screeched then fell to the floor, making loud thump. My brother grabbed me out from under the bed and we ran. We didn't know what was happening nor did we want to, we just wanted to be out of there. There was chaos in the streets, people running wild, jumping out their cars, cars running people over just for their own safety trying to escape. And then we were separated. I don't know if he still is alive or not.. I think about him everyday" She said with a saddened tone with pauses in between what she said. 

   She was afraid. Hurt. She shivered with fear

    I stood up and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"You're okay now. At least you're here, breathing and walking able to tell your story. That's all that matters. You can worry about the other things later." I told her as she looked up at me with a smile on her face, but tears rolling down her cheeks. Her eyes told a story. A tragic one. 

    You could tell her suffering just by looking into them. Lord knows what she's going through, but at least now we know there are others.