Chapter Five

Decan's Journal: The anonymous user who sent out the message arrived. It was a she. There right in front of my face. I hadn't seen any other people in quite some time. It was a exciting feeling. Getting to know that there are others, that there is hope. Now all we need to do is find the rest.

   "So, how did you get our message? Had you lived around here or were you passing by?" I asked her as she sat down at the dining table. 

  "Actually, I lived on the south side of town. But the way I was living, I hadn't been able to find any technology. The only things I had were food, water, and a tent. Until yesterday, I chose to go out and to try and find some and as you have it, I find a phone lying on the floor in a grocery store. I picked up and it had a password, but I know my way around technology and just reset it, without a password. Then thats when I got the message, earlier today." Kimberly said with a smile on her face.

  "Well, we are glad you did. It was getting lonely here anyway. Just the two of us, you know?" Miller told her with his whole body stretched out on the couch. 

  "Oh yeah trust me, how do you think it was for me living alone?" Kimberly responded to him with a slight giggle.

  I know we just met her but it felt like we already had made a connection. It felt like we knew each other. Maybe we did? Maybe we went to school together at one point in our lives. Its possible, she said live don the south side of town, and thats where Miller and I attended school. It would make sense.. Kimberly Green..

  "Have you ever attempted to try and find survivors yourself?" I asked from the staircase leading to the second floor. 

"Well.. only twice. Once for my brother and then another time last month when the infected left. But I am curious, the infected were supposed to go on their leave.. but they came back, do you guys know why or are you just as confused as me?" She said scratching her head

"Well.. about that..." I responded to her with a fake laugh before explaining everything that had gone on.

"WHAT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU CAUSED IT!" She said with a surprised tone, not angry.

"yeah..." I said quietly.

"Well, i don't mind. If you think about it, had you not stopped it who knows if we'd even be here right now." She said calmly with a smile on her face and her head slightly tilted to the left.

 Beauty. Is all I saw. I didn't know how to avoid it, but I felt as if I were going to start falling for her, I should get to know her.

"Hey, Decan, would you mind helping me with something upstairs real quick?" Miller said as he walked past me on the staircase and tapped my shoulder. I nodded.

I got off my butt and walked up the staircase and into his room. When I came in he closed the door shut.

"Does something seem.. a bit.. off about her to you?" He said to me quietly.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"She has lived in town for over a year and she just decides to go out and find technology? She isn't even more than 30 minutes away from where we are? Don't you think this is all just a little.. weird? I mean I'm glad we have someone else but maybe we shouldn't put all of our trust into her just yet." he whispered to me.

"I didn't think about it but now that you mention it that is a little strange. You're right, lets let her gain our trust. It's not something that should be handed out anyway.." I responded to him as we both heard glass shatter downstairs. We looked at each other then opened the door and ran downstairs as quickly as we could.

We saw Kimberly standing there just fine. "What was that?" Miller asked her

"I'm sorry.. I accidentally hit the cup with my arm and it fell down." She told us. We both sighed in relief.

"Its fine, we'll clean it." I told her as I got the broom and dustpan then swept it up and put it in the trash.

"So, I'm just curious.. Whats in your backpack?" Miller asked her pointing to it sitting on the dining table chair next to her.

"Oh, thats my medicine. I've been trying to find a cure. And then I have some water in there too, but thats about all." She told him as she unzipped it and showed all the contents inside of it.

"wait, a cure? You said you're 17 right?" I asked her.

"Yeah..?" She said with uncertainty of why the question was asked.

"You can't just find a cure playing scientist. Thats not how it works." I told her with slight anger to my tone.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you. My dad used to be a scientist himself. Before he got sick and turned into that thing he had been studying on the virus himself and taught me things about it. Pretty much he used me as a place to store his information had something bad happened it." She said.

Miller and I both looked at each other. We both were thinking that wasn't just a detail you leave out. Thats something big. No, huge. Some things just didn't piece together.

Miller nodded. "Its getting late, we should head to bed. Kimberly, there are two empty rooms upstairs. Feel free to take one for yourself" He said as he got up and went upstairs. 

"Okay thanks!" She yelled to him..

"I'll be heading to bed soon, I'll see you in the morning, Kimberly." I said before she grabbed my wrist. "Huh?"

"Decan I.. I.." She said she stumbled on her words before looking me up and down and biting her lips.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"Well, we both know we can't cure the whole world.. We will need to.. you know, sooner or later" She said to me as she took her hands and wrapped them around my neck, gazing up at me. She was hinting at reproduction.

I froze and didn't know what to say. It was like everything that had been discussed earlier was thrown out the window. She was eager, she was fast. All I did was nod, secretly wanting to just leave.

"So you agree? great, well then lets.." She said before she pushed me onto the couch and sat on my lap with her face towards mine. She touched her lips with mine, passionately too. At that moment, I knew this wasn't about 'saving' the world anymore. She knew she needed our trust.

I kissed back for a moment but slowly pushed her away. "Now might not be the time." I said to her as she lifted my shirt off of me.

"Are you sure?" She said seductively, running her fingers up and down my chest.

"Yes, I'm sure." I said to her as I lifted her off of me then quickly went up the staircase, peeking back at her holding my shirt in her hands still on the couch. I didn't care how she was feeling right about now, but I remembered that we can't trust her just yet. I closed my door, locked it, put the gun on the nightstand, shut the window, and got under the covers. Only moments later, I heard a door opening then closing shut.

It was Miller's, and he never gets up after he gets in bed.

---------------------------------------------------------

A/N

I really wanted to give a big shout-out to an inspiration of mine when it comes to writing, and someone who has helped me and given me tips on how to make my story better! Go give a_million_universes a follow and check out their stories, they're really good! And for everyone else, I wanna thank you for the support to! It means a lot for it to have 60+ reads and it's only been up for 4 days! This book seems to be growing a lot more faster than any of my other books and it's all thanks to you guys/girls! If you would like your own personal shout-out, just continue to show support for me and I'll recognize you, trust me. Thank you all so much it's been fun writing this book so far and Im glad you're all enjoying it! -Cornelius/Author