Chapter Ten

"I promise you, we didn't do anything," I told him slightly laughing "But we should head home now" I said before turning the car around

"I'm sure you didn't. I believe you" He said holding onto his seat 

"Thanks. Let's get home before its too dark and ALL the infected are out" I said speeding up as Miller reached into the back of the car and grabbed another clip of ammo.

"just in case" He said to me

"Alright" I responded to him going faster. The sun was going down

By now we were about 1 block  away from home. It was sunset. It was going to be fully dark in only a couple of minutes. 

I began to slow down the car. Trouble was ahead. "Stop the car. Now." Miller  said

We both saw it. Millions of infected swarming the streets. Headed in the direction we both knew too well. Our home. "We need to leave the car here. We can sneak to the house through these other houses backyards, we will check if the girls are okay." I said before I took the keys out of the engine and grabbed my gun out of the back and hopped over a gate, Miller behind me.

We hopped over multiple fences, trying to peek over the ones leading to the streets whenever we could. We were getting close to the house. We saw two figures standing on top of the house. It was Kimberly and Michelle. 

"Michelle! Kimberly! Come down!" Miller yelled as we went in through the back door

We met them on the second floor. They had came down through Michelle's room window.

"What's going on?!" I said with urgency in my voice.

"Uh uh we we we don't know! We just were sitting then all these infected started just roaring out of no where and we looked out of the window and there were just so many!" Michelle said

"Are you guys hurt?!" Miller added

"No we are fine. How did you guys get here safely? They go down for blocks!" Kimberly said

"We left the other way, they only go down for a little less than a block that way," I said "We parked the car down that way, we couldn't come closer without being noticed. But we need to get out of here. We have to leave, there are too many, they'll break through the spiked gates sooner or later. Sooner more than later" I told them

"Decan is right. Get everything you can and anything we need, take it, and run to the car. I'll show you guys where it is, then I'm gonna come back here with Decan" Miller said before we all ran downstairs. Miller 

Miller and the girls grabbed some boxes out of the garage and packed them with anything they could fit in it, from clothes to food- separated of course- then ran to the car. I stayed back packing more stuff, food, everything. We couldn't waste the animals. If we left the infected would eat them, and boy what a waste that would be. I went to the backyard and pulled up all the vegetables and picking all the fruits then throwing them into a box. 

I took a pistol and loaded it, and shot at the animals, killing them. Usually this takes a long process and requires more of my time, but I didn't have that. I took a butchers knife and cut all the animals up. Cleaning can be done later, when I have time.

We would probably still be here for a little bit more time so I put the meat in a bag and put it in the freezer, to keep it fresh for now. By now Miller and the girls had made it back.

"Alright, we are here" Miller said picking up some of the boxes getting ready to go back to the car.

"Oh yeah, heads up, we managed to find a van. Its not completely functional but if I could do some car magic I could get it started. We will need more space. Kimberly and I will take the Mazda and you and Miller can take the van" Michelle said before she grabbed a box of utensils and left with Miller and Kimberly again. 

I continued to pack things, including water jugs, cups, blankets, and pillows. We'd need them. 

Miller came back, alone this time. "Kimberly and Michelle are fixing the van. I came back to grab more stuff" Miller told me as he picked up more boxes.

"I'll be there right now just let me pack this last box" I told him as I ran into the basement and grabbed any frozen meat left and packed it in the ice cooler and poured multiple bags of ice into it as we had done for the other meat. "Alright, lets go" I told him

I went outside holding two boxes in my left arm and dragging the cooler by the handle that had another box sitting on top of it. They had broken the fences so that we could go to the car easily. We went as fast as we could. 

We finally made it to the girls they had the mazda and the van running, ready to go. Perfect. We packed up the van and the mazda.

"Almost finished!" I said loading a box into the trunk with only one box left.

Bam! 

A shot went, fired by Kimberly. An infected had snuck up on her, luckily she got a clean shot in and it fell dead, but worse was coming. All the infected swarming around our home suddenly turned this way. They noticed us and began running to us.

"i'm sorry!!" Kimberly shouted from the mazda.

"Hurry it up Decan! We're gonna die if you don't hurry!!" Miller shouted. I put the last box in and closed the trunk.

"Go go! Start driving!" I yelled hitting the back of the van. Miller started driving as I ran behind the car for now, the mazda in front of the van.

~Miller's Pov~

I drove the car as fast as I could go but still to the point where Decan could catch up. He was running slower than usual. Could it have been from the injury? I questioned it as the infected were closing in on him. We were coming to a turn and Decan still hadn't it make it to the van. I couldn't leave him and just let him die, but I also couldn't die at failing to save him. I turned the corner sharp. Decan no longer in my rear view mirror. My heart was beating faster. There's no way in hell that he's dead. We have been through so much together. He has survived too many things to die now. Just. No. Way. My eyes started to tear up. He could really be gone. I may have never even had the chance to say goodbye to him. He's gone and he's not coming back. That's what this world has come to. Taking everything I care about from me. I continued to drive, trying to just wait. To see if he would appear somewhere. Any moment now. I'm waiting.

A window in the back of the one was completely shattered. The sound scared me so terribly I didn't even look back. Who knows, maybe this was the end for me too.