Fight Or Flight

Diana's P.O.V

Claire has not yet settled still mad about what Dougal did. She sat beside Ned on the slightly soggy ground and looked ahead furiously with a frown. I decided it was best to make a friend of my own, Will.

"Will." I said sitting beside him catching the attention of the other highlanders. They stopped talking and looked at me curiously.

"Diana." He smiled passing me some meat they roasted over the fire. I accepted it, hungry, and wolfed it down.

"Slow down lass." He laughed watching me eat like a pig. I haven't yet swallowed the food so I looked like a glaring hamster.

"So what do ye want lass? " He asked as the rest of the men stopped paying attention to our exchanged and resumed to speaking in Gaelic trying to ignore my presence.

"Just to talk. It's bound to get boring without a friend." I said shrugging my shoulders .

" Me? Your friend? Why me ?" He asked , his voice raising a pitch higher after each question . He almost sounded like a girl .

"Well we're roughly around the same age and you seem ........ more available, less uptight." I answered trying to find the right words . He looked taken aback .

"Available." He laughed at my choice of words making me blush , embarrassed.

" Lass yer bonnie but I don't ken if I should ." He stopped laughing and from the look of it he felt uncomfortably scratching the back of his head . Oh no he must have gotten the wrong idea , crap .

"Oh ..No! I dont mean what you think I mean . I just want someone to talk to and be friends you know ." Will nodded his head slowly after what I said .

" Well , Okay ." He said while picking up a stick and stabbing it into the ground . we were enveloped by awkward silence and so then I decided to ask a question that surprised him a lot .

" I heard there is a small town nearby , do you known exactly how far away it is? " I asked and he dropped the stick looking up at me .

"Why would ye want to ken , yer not trying to run away are ye ?" He seemed displeased with my question .

"No of course not-" I tried to justify myself but he cut me off .

" Yer using me for information lass , ain't that true ." He stood up . I looked around us and realised that everybody heard his accusations since they were all rigid and full on staring at us .

" Yer trying to run " Angus said and laughed ."Ye won't go far lass ."

"I am not trying to run dammit! ." I clenched my jaw and stood up turning around and walking away , their laughs mocking me . So much for making a friend Diana . I guess it's only Claire that could provide me with company.

"How do you think Colum will feel about you helping Dougal steal money from him to line his own pockets, and using his nephew Jamie to do it? " Claire asks baffled.

"Aren't you the canny lass?" He said with a smile adorning his aged face.

"Just wondering how it works." She said oblivious to me eavesdropping.

"Two bags of money, obviously."He answers a strain on his voice as if he was a smoker.

" Are there two sets of books as well, one for each brother? Seems that you've got it all sorted out. I'll wager they don't teach common thievery at the University Edinburgh." Claire scoffed as I stood motionless. Claire was very clever, probably more clever than me which made me feel proud.

"I must say, you got a good head on your shoulders, and a tongue for argument as well. You'd make a fine advocate yerself. It's a pity they don't allow women to practice law." I could see he looked at her with admiration.

"Not yet." I butt in sitting beside Claire and putting my head on her shoulder. The wind picked up and it looked like it was about to rain. The clouds turned more grey than they already were.

"Ned, I heard there is a town occupied by the British, a big one at that." I was desperate for information about that town. I would have went with the handsome soldier but I didn't want to leave Claire behind.

"Ah lass there is many big towns occupied by the Redcoats. You see they almost control most of Scotland. Not fully because there are many clans that oppose but also many clans that support. The clans that support the King of England are mostly situated down south. The North isn't going to give up. Ye see lass most of the Scottish want to stay on the Kings good side just to fool him, but lass do not be fooled for they still seek independence and its only a matter of time before they will try and reach out for it. " He explained the situation and I listened to his words attentively starting to understand.

" So you suspect a rebellion is going to happen? " I asked thinking about the old man's words.

" It is going to happen. " Claire said looking at me with worry and fear in her eyes.

"During Dougals speech I caught out a word and that word was 'Jacobites'" She said and didn't have to say anything more. I knew what was going to happen. Back in England apart from tending to horses and trying to find my sister I was obsessed with history and maybe that's the reason why I found moving back in time so exciting. Even as soon as I found out what year it was I knew that sooner or later the Scottish would rise and the battle of Culloden was going to happen. Everything was so overwhelming and I was so busy trying to find Claire that the thought of how close the rise of the Jacobites was slipped my mind completely.

There is going to be war and I just realised that me and Claire are in the middle of it all. Now there's two options for me.

Fight or flight.

Which one will I choose I don't know.