Wedding Preparations

I lay in haystacks and , from inside of the barn , I let my gaze settle on the doorway . Bright , orange sunlight peaks in through the cracks and I can hear the locals bustling about . Without a doubt living their normal lives , not knowing about peculiar things in life like time travel . Time travel , a surreal thing . Its existence so hard to grasp that sometimes thinking about it turns my brain into mush .

My body feels so heavy , my head weighs down on the uncomfortable surface . Slowly I turn trying to recollect my memories from the night before . Lumpy acid trickles up my throat making me hiccup . I hold it in and glare at the large , empty , whiskey-smelling bottle positioned right under my arm . It could have been been the culprit , alas it could also have been me saying yes to everything when drunk off my ass  .

I sit up and almost barf . The world spins in circles before finally coming to a halt . I can feel a splitting headache form . If only I had self control .

Something , or someone grumbling make my head snap to the right . Almost instantly I regret it . The dizziness intensifies and I hunch over releasing yesterday's dinner . The yellow and rotten liquid beneath me tells a tale of the ingredients used . I don't even know how broccoli found its way into my stomach . I always hated broccoli and yet there it was swimming amongst  beans . It baffles me how it hadn't fully digested yet .

I lift my head following another groan . A couple of feet away from me , engulfed in hay sleeps a lady . Black curls with protruding frizz sit like a mop on my sister's pale face . She moves slightly before falling limp . I myself settle back down and close my eyes . We weren't in a rush .

" Hey , on your feet lass ! " A rough masculine voice commanded . The wooden door flew open nearly breaking off it's hinges . In a matter of seconds Claire was pulled up on her feet . Her overall appearance disheveled . She opened her eyes and let them sweep over her surroundings in complete and utter confusion .

Well , I guess we're in a rush after all .

" You too! " Will grabbed onto me . Unlike Claire I didn't stumble and used some of my own strength to stand up . I was fully awake , tired and hungover , yet fully awake . I almost missed Will tuck a strand of rouge hair behind my ear before stepping back . I only glared at his closeness and action . In return he looked away blushing   .

" You hardly wanna get married looking like a melted candle. " Murtagh held onto Claire's shoulders . Behind him , with a large piece of clothing in her arms was a woman . Her stout figure hugged by an earthy coloured yet fatly layered dress brought much attention to the shape of her half covered bossom .

Only then , glancing behind her I spotted chairs and tables . Realisation shot through me like a bullet and I twirled to look at the haystacks my sister and I used as beds . We must have dragged them here . I was hoping that the brown spot , that was right beside the place I slept , wasn't animal poop .

A gasp escaped my sister as she looked into the mirror before her .

Honestly , taking a glimpse in the mirror and comparing myself to her , she didn't look half bad . I began questioning if I wasn't struck by lighting . That would've been a twist .

" Do you want me to stay ? " I asked observing the three  women in the room . I doubt Claire needs that many people to help her put on a piece of clothing , then again , the wedding dress does look heavy .

" I need you to run and buy some more of that whiskey for tonight . " She slurred slightly . A look of disapproval crossed Murtagh's  face . Amused I couldn't help but smile  . Claire could hold her drink so that made me wonder how much we really drank .

" I dinna ken if that's a go-"

" I'll have it prepared . " I cut in grabbing onto Williams hand and rushing out the door . He let out a surprised ' oh ' before following on his own accord . Fresh air filled my lungs and with alcohol still in my system I suddenly got a burst of energy .

" Slow down lass . "

" I'm literally just walking ."

I began to retrace my steps to the building I remember rolling a barrel out of . It could have been a dream yet the layout of the village seemed very familiar . Carefully I created a bigger distance between me and the fountain , mainly because there was a flock of angry looking hens beside its stone structure .

Wondering if my flask wasn't fully empty I dived into my bag hoping I'd find it.  From the corner I managed to pluck out a rusty feather and a bone with meat dangling from it . I looked back at the hens and I'm pretty sure that the biggest one glared at me . That must have been one of her flock . Or I think that's what a group of hens was called . She must have been tasty since there wasn't much left of her .

" Why are you holding a bone ? " Will asked , puzzled by what I've managed to find within the confinements of my leather bag .

" Welllll ." I myself tried to think back to the blur that was the passing day . " I don't even know . It looks like I decided to have some chicken . " I shrugged my shoulder and threw the bone to the ground . It wasn't long before a dog ran up and while growling , tried to sink his teeth into the leftovers . I jumped back slightly surprised by how feral the canine sounded .

" That dog sure is hungry . " I watched it devour what seemed to be its long awaited dinner . It must have been , the poor things' ribs were showing .

" So where are we going exactly ? " Will asked . I snapped out of what seemed to be a trance and carried on walking .

" There's a storage house right beside the pub . There must be someone working there right now . You go and buy a barrel of whiskey . Incase you won't be able to get your hands on it I'll go into the pub and ask for some . " I explained as we neared the old shack . Even though it was around six o clock in the evening the place was open with men stumbling in and out of it . I could even hear music escaping through its cracks , windows and walls .

I myself , not very steady on my feet , walked in through the threshold . Heads turned yet the small , local party didn't stop . I inched closer to the counter . This wasn't like the pubs I used to visit back home . I don't even think those people called it a pub .

" Hey sorry sir ." I shouted over the different conversations and music .

A man with greying hair walked up to me . He had cloths slung over his broad shoulders . His hands were clean enough with only specks of dirt under his nails . He gave me a questioning look .

Before I could even speak his breath hitched . He moved away with shock and fear in his eyes . I could see his muscles tense . The music that was previously played and sang by a local group of young and pretty women stopped completely . The whole pub fell into penetrable silence .

I raised one of my eyebrows and grabbed onto the hilt of my sword . Slowly I turned around , the soles of my boots scraping against the wooden floor . I thought that it would've been a red coat , or even a couple of them .

My eyes widened and lips sealed shut into a straight line .

" Nice to see you ,  wife . " His voice carried anger and his hands held a gun that was pointed straight at my head .