p r o l o g u e

♣

" I got the book Mommy!" Jughead said, running eagerly to his mother in his bedroom.

"Do you want me to read it, Juggie?" She replied, her smile sweet, but tired.

"Yes, Please!"

The child squeezed every ounce of energy out of her, not to mention her pregnancy, which wasn't a great addition to her everyday life either.

She sat down on his bed, bringing him up to her lap. They snuggled under the covers. Jughead's eyes shined with curiosity as his mother opened the book, the pictures and words leaving him in wonder.

"It was Toto that made Dorothy laugh, and saved her from growing as gray as her other surroundings. Toto was not gray; he was a little black dog, with long silky hair, and small black eyes that twinkled merrily on either side of his funny, wee nose. Toto played all day long, and Dorothy played with him, and loved him dearly..."

His mother's voice soothed his ears, a lullaby on its own, calming  little Juggie's mind.

He placed his fingers on the letters, imagining the little puppy described by her voice.

He thought of his hair, his little button eyes, everything.

Smiling, he looked up at his mother, and she smiled back, kissing his forehead before continuing to read.

He kept his finger on the page, pretending to understand the lines that formed the letters.

Suddenly, a big swoosh of air and light engulfed the room.

"What the hell?!" His mother screeched, holding the child protectively as the light grew brighter and brighter.

The room spinned, Jug thought he was going to vomit.

"Mommy, what's going on?" He hugged his mother.

"I don't know."

And, as quick as it started, the lights, the air, the spinning ended.

Gone.

But, at the edge of the bed was a little black dog with eyes as dark as his fur.

Toto stood at the edge of Jughead's bed.

"Toto!"

Jughead tried to pet the dog, but his mother stopped him.

Her eyes were wide in shock, lip trembling.

This had never happend before when she normally read to Jughead.

"Oh my god..." Her voice whispered.

The dog barked.

"Please, mommy! Can I please pet him?" Jughead looked at his mother wide-eyed.

"Be careful, honey."

The child went over and stroked the pup's long, shaggy fur. The dog jumped onto him and began to lick his face.

"Ow! Hehe!" He giggled at the sudden contact.

His mother, frozen from the recent events, buried her head in thoughts.

What was different this time? What happend while she was reading?

'He put his finger...It couldn't possibly be...' She thought.

"Jughead?"

"Yeah?" He pushed the dog away, but continued to pet it.

"Did you think about Toto while I read to you?"

"Of course, Mommy! What else would I think about? Cars?"

"Holy crap..."

She put her hands up to her head.

Her child had the same power as her mother, and her mother died from it.

She stood up, going over to her bedroom. She opened her drawers, pulling out a box.

It contained a journal full of research done by her father, and a necklace, which included a wooden pendant. Magnetite crusted in the middle. It supposedly provided protection to the wearer by strengthening their aura.

"I need to protect him, teach him,

before it's too late."

~A/N~

I'm aware this looks completely copied off of Inkheart, but trust me. It isn't.