3

The rest of the week leading up to Saturday felt like one brick atop another, piled together and placed right at the back of Jughead's head. He had gotten Betty's phone number before she left the library that day. She placed it on a napkin sealed with a kiss.

Cheesy, but cute, he thought.

Jellybean would taunt and tease him, saying she's never seen him this giggly and happy before. As if he never truly experienced happiness like this. And he would smile and bump her shoulder playfully, rolling the subtle insult away. 

But the truth was, JB was right; Jughead had never felt this kind of emotion before. 

The thing was, Jug had a really weird childhood. He wasn't exactly your normal red-cheeked boy. 

And so every day, he'd go to school, and he'd be silent during snack time, and recess, and during the bus ride home. 

And no one noticed him. But for once, after all these years, someone did.

And it felt so. damn. good.

"So, Juggy, whatcha' gonna wear?" Stud joked, popping some chips in his mouth.

The two were in the library again, bored and alone on a Friday night.

The boy pursed his lips, looked up and scratched his chin.

"I'm thinking a red dress with some bright lipstick and a blonde wig."

James snorted immediately once the words 'dress' came out his mouth.

"Oh, how I'd love to ravish you in that ensemble."

Jug snickered. "Go home, homo." 

They laughed together, not even feeling uncomfortable with the dirty jokes sput out. It was a friendship most wished to have.

"But in all honesty, I'm not going to overthink this. I'll just show up in a sweater and jeans, nothing to frilly." He replied, and took a swing of his beer, the bitterness of the ale hitting the back of his throat quickly.

"Oh Juggy, you do know it's impossible for you to not overthink things, right?"

He blushed.

"Shut it! I am capable of not overthinking this date." 

James went up to the boy and ruffled his hair furiously.

"Calm down, wiccan. I'm sure you're not  going to show up there wearing a tux and some newly polished shoes."

"Thank you so much for the support!" Jughead smiled sarcastically, pecking James on the cheek before standing up to grab another beer.

Deep down though, he knew that he was going to overthink Saturday. He already was. 

Just thinking about what to say, what he was expected to do, what she was going to do made him feel like calling in sick. 

To a date. 

It wasn't one of his proudest moments, but what could he do knowing that the girl of his dreams was gonna be in front of him in T-minus 16 hours? 

"Jugheadddd! My beautiful raven haired boy! Where are youuu?" Stud slurred, obviously drinking a little more than their two-bottle limit.

"Coming, darling!" 

He walked to the old record player they had in the place, and put on a upbeat bop. The needle fell softly on the vinyl as Jug sashayed back to their spot, twirling and dancing to the beat.