1

It was a cold, windy night in New York. Pedestrians adorned their necks with cozy warm scarfs and held artisan coffees.  The sky turned darker, and snow began to stick to the quiet streets and empty sidewalks. Everyone was asleep.

Well, almost everyone.

Jughead Jones was still awake, organizing books at the NY Public Library.

His eyes drooped, tired. And on his neck, the old necklace his mother gave him when he was only five years old.

Alongside him, was his best friend, James Park, or "Stud",  who helped him through his daily chores. Although he talked more instead of helping.

"-Where the hell is that book I saw at Barnes And Noble? There was a cute little closet boy whom I'd LOVE to meet." He perched as he looked through the piles of books in the romance section.

Jughead sighed and held the bridge of his nose. He couldn't believe he had even asked him to  help.

"Stud, you're supposed to be helping."

"And I am! I just threw all the boring books in that pile over there!" He replied, giving Juggie an innocent smile. 

He rolled his eyes and went back to the books.

"Remind me why I'm your friend?"

"Because you're completely and utterly infatuated with me?"

"I''m not that gay for you, Stud." 

 The little rainbow smiled as he continued going through the endless piles of literature.

That didn't last long though, as the boy spoke up once again.

"I'm booored. Can you conjure up Christian Grey for me? Pleaaase?" The brown haired boy pleaded.

"You know I can't properly control my powers, Stud."

"You always use that damn excuse. Your'e no fun." 

Stud pouted as he went back to work, and so did Jughead.

But it was true. Jughead had absolutely no power over his curse. 

Although his late mother tried to teach him as much as she could, there were still so much uncertainty. He learned how to almost perfect his summoning, but there was still that slight chance of death always lurking nearby.

He could summon up characters from a book by holding the paperback or hardcover to his chest, whilst thinking of their traits. But, if he didn't bring the character back into their book in under 60 hours, they were stuck in the real world forever.

Jug never used his powers unless it was useful. Or if Stud annoyed him to the brink of using them just to shut him up.

Suddenly, a hard knock was heard at the end of the room. The duo both turned their heads.

A girl was standing outside the library with just a small sweater on. Her slick blond ponytail was decorated with white snowflakes atop her head. Knowing how hard it was snowing that day, she must've been freezing.

"Shit! How long was she there?"  Jug wondered as he ran up to let her inside.

She walked in immediately, rubbing her shoulders vigorously.

Stud ran up to her and gave her a blanket from the storage room.

"T-t-thank y-y-you.." She shivered.

"How long were you out there for?" 

"A-an hour. My c-c-car lost gas a few s-streets away, and y-y-you guys seemed open." 

Jug's face had gone worried. 

"You poor thing! I can't imagine how frozen you must be! I'll turn on the fireplace, my friend Jughead's going to call CAA." Stud said before walking out of the main hall to get the fire starting.

"I-isn't t-that for m-m-members only?"

"Doesn't hurt to help a pretty stranger in need." Jughead replied, giving her a wink.

She laughed.

"W-well thank you, J-Jughead."

"And your name is?" 

"Betty.Well, technically it's Elizabeth-" She chirped, her voice seeming to warm up.

He giggled under his breath as she continued to talk

Stud gave him a wink at the end of the corridor,  but he just rolled his eyes.

Betty. 

He made sure to remember that name.

~A/N~

SHORTER CHAPTERS?? OR MAKE THEM LONGER??

I've been obsessed with writing this story, and now that it's finally alive. I'm actually supah excited to continue it once Believer is halfway done! I hope you guys are excited to see the story unfold as well. And don't worry, Juggie's raven hair will be making a comeback soon.

(Vote, Comment, Follow)

- Sarah x x