18

I now had two of the Beasts in my sight: one who approached Hoshi, his prey, slowly ;
the other who seemed like supporting his pal.

Preston had now seen the beast behind Hoshi. He made a swift move and grabbed a thick stick from somewhere and hit him on his face. The beast made a deep growl and eyed Preston. Hoshi, on the other hand, panicked and started running towards me.
The other beast made a powerful chase after Hoshi. He made a pounce on him and both of them were on the ground. I couldn't figure out anything anymore because of the height of the grass.
I decided to step back but saw Preston and the beast circle each other. He had the stick that had him alive.
A hand pulled me from the side. It was Tom. I didn't see him approach me.

"Let's go." He whispered a bit loud as he pulled my hand back.

I turned to see Preston. It didn't seem he could handle himself and the beast anymore.
I released my hand from Tom's and started running to him.

"What are you doing? Don't... They'll kill you." Tom grabbed me again.

"But Preston. He'll die. I gotta help him." I yelled as I tried to loosen my hand.

"Don't. Please. Listen to me. We gotta run." His calm voice reached my ear and I took a deep breath. My mind had now stopped working. I just didn't know what to do. Save someone while risking yourself or just run away.

I turned around and tried to locate Preston. I couldn't. I then saw the beast over someone. No! Please.
"Preston?" I yelled out loud, not caring for what could have happened next.

"Shut up. They'll hear us." Tom pulled me.

Tears started to flow down my cheeks as I saw the tails of the two beasts waving in the air. I was heartbroken. The two people whom I saw moments ago with me, alive, are now being devoured.
My mind filled with rage against the selfish person who could have helped them instead of just running away.
I twisted and unlocked my hands from his.

"Selfish!" I said staring right into his eyes. "You are so selfish."

"Shut up Jazlyn. They'll here us. Let's..." I interrupted his whispering by yelling.

"I am not going anywhere with you. I am going to save someone..who I think can be dead if I run away." I took my steps back and ran towards danger.

"Jazlyn..No. Come back." I heard Tom's voice approaching me. I tried to speed up but he caught me. Then eyeing me, he yelled more than loud.
"Are you insane? You can die."

Just then, I heard a low grr from the side. Slowly, we turned our heads.

The beast who was over Preston, had now his torso facing towards us. His mouth and his hands were covered with fresh blood. With a thud, he dropped on all his fours.

"This is bad. Run.. Now." He pulled me and we started running back.
My mind was shut still. I just couldn't think of anything. I swear if Tom wouldn't have instructed me to Run, I could have stayed there until the beast had gluped me.

The beast was faster. His two giant steps landed him on Tom. I felt the moment as Tom's hand harshly detached from mine. The beast was now on Tom right in front of me.
My feet stuck in horror. Terrified by the fact that I'd lose everyone whom I just met, tears ran down my cheek again. But I didn't dare make noise.

Just then, I saw Preston stumbling his way towards us. I saw his disorted face and scratches that tore his shirt along with the skin. Heavy amount of blood drooped down his abdomen. His hands were full of peeled skin from where blood was rushing down with great speed.
Yet he was walking to us. Not alone, but with the same long thick sharp stick. He smiled at me as he reached at the back of the beast. He raised the stick in the air and then smiled again to me.
With a great force, he passed the stick through the body of the beast.
Green sticky substance flew on my pants. The beast and Preston fell on the ground at the same time.

Tom rose up as he cleared the beasts' blood off his clothes. I smiled hard and hugged him. I was so happy to see him alive. It was all because of Preston.
"Preston!" I pushed Tom away and reached for Preston.

He was lying motionless on the ground. "Are you okay? Preston.... Let's go.. Pres.."
He was smiling continuously before he closed his eyes.

No sooner I realised the obvious fact.

Tom grabbed me from the behind and pulled me all the way to the side from where we came.