Chapter Four - Bennett

She returns to the book she was reading. And I just sit there and watch her read. I don't mind it. We used to do this.

When she finishes she pushes the book to the side and looks back at me.

"So, you needed my help? With what?" She asks me, leaning onto the table.

"Well, advice, honestly. I hear you're the best in town." I tell her jokingly, but I'm serious too. I know she is the best in town. I used to get advice all the time.

"There was this one guy who went around telling people that. I had to prove those who doubted it wrong. Wouldn't be here without him." She says winking at me. "Anyways, what did you need help with?"

I looked her in the eyes, "There's this girl, I kind of screwed things up between us two. It was a huge mistake. And now I want her back in my life. What can I do? I can just approach her, right? I mean, I did. I am. It isn't going terrible. She doesn't seem to despise me. I just wanted your opinion." I rant.

And it took her a moment, and the hurt flashed through her eyes, I couldn't miss it.

But then she told me:

"Fight for her, don't give up on her, like you did with me."

It's like I've been punched. In the gut. By Dwayne "the rock" Johnson. A thousand times.

That hurt. So much. I know she said it, just for the advice. To help me. But my heart just broke some more.

It's for you. I need it for you. I wanted to tell her. I want her to know I want her in my life again. But I can't tell her yet.

I can't just jump back into her life. I need to earn my way into it.

So, I told her I need help with a girl. She just doesn't know that this girl, is her.

"I. . .didn't mean to hurt you, you know." I tell her.

But she just smiles, that sweet, soft smile. The one that makes you feel proud to be on the receiving end of it.

It's just genuine. Not fake. Not mocking. Just real.

"I know. You did it for a reason. I respect that." I can't get over how calm she is with everything that's happened.

"Do you hate me Rose?" I had to ask her. She doesn't seem to, but I need to know.

She does something though, completely unexpected. She grabs my hand. Her hands are still soft. So small. I miss them.

"I could never hate you Bennett. Not while I'm alive, not even if I died." She says, so passionately. "You'll forever have a place in my heart. Whether you like it or not." She jokes lightly.

"And you in mine." I squeeze her hand.

She then pulls out her phone and looks at something. She puts her book in her bag and stands up. I look at her confused. "Come on." She grabs my hand and pulls me up. "Let's go."

"Rosaline? What are you--where are we going?" Why did she get up so abruptly?

She smiles once again, but this time it's a full blown smile, not her soft one. This one shows she's genuinely happy, I have seen it many times before. And I'm glad to experience it today.

"We are going to get ice cream."