Chapter Six - Bennett

After we got ice cream we walked to the park. We did this all the time.

Just looking at Rosaline, now. How is she single?

Or. . . is she single?

"Rose?" I turn my body towards her.

"Yes, Bennett?" She looks up at me.

"Do you. . . are you seeing someone?"

She looks at me for a second, then cocks her head to the side, "No. I don't have a boyfriend, " Then she smiles. "Why have a boyfriend when you have a puppy?"

And I didn't even take that to heart. She doesn't even have a dog.

Or does she?

"You have a dog?" I ask her.

"No," She rolls her eyes. "I have a puppy."

"You call all dogs puppies. You could have a full grown Great Dane and you'd think it's a lap dog." I joke with her, but at the same time I'm not even kidding.

She gasps, "Nu uh. You should know I will never own a Great Dane. They are to big for me." She crosses her arms.

"You got a husky." I didn't even ask, I know she did.

And then the world lit up. Her beautiful smile. I could just kiss her all day, if she'd let me. Shout out to Bruno.

"Yes! He's so small right now. He's the cutest. I named him Snickers. Because he ate mine the day I got him. I know, I know. It's bad for him. But he's okay, I swear and he's so soft." She lets out a sigh.

You can see the love in her eyes.

Then her face lights up even more, "Do you want to meet him? He would love you. And my mom kind of misses you." She blushes at the last part.

Oh, Mrs. Myers. A woman I've always considered a mother. After my own of course.

"Oh yeah, sure. Let me let my mom know."

I pulled out my phone and type in her number. I press it to my ear as it rings.

1 ring. 2 ring. 3 ring. 4 ri-

"Hello?"

"Hey mom. I won't be home until later today. I'm going to someones house-" She interrupts me.

"No you aren't. You're going to get your big headed self home, right now." She tells me.

I roll my eyes. "Mom. Come on-"

"If you ask one more time, I will-"

"I'm with Rosaline."

The line goes silent for a moment. "Oh. Okay just call me when you get to her house, sweetie."

That worked? What the hell?

"Uh, yeah I sure will mom. Love you. By-"

"Wait! Let me talk to Rosaline."

I look at Rosaline, "Mom, I don't know of that's a good idea-"

"If you don't give her the phone, God so help me boy," My mom takes a deep breath. "If you give her the phone, I will pretend that I didn't know you rolled your eyes at me over the phone." I widen my eyes.

"How did you. . .?" I asked shocked.

"I'm your mother. Not an idiot. Give the girl the phone." I sigh.

"She wants to talk to you," I hand Rosaline the phone.

She didn't even look shocked. She just smiled and took the phone politely out of my hand.

While she talked to my mom I just took in her beauty. Her long brown hair up in a messy ponytail. Her shimmering green eyes sparkling in the sun. Her beautiful caramel skin. She's mixed. And it gave her a beautiful skin complexion. Her mother was white, whilst her father African American.

Both two beautiful people, who made an even more beautiful daughter.

"Bennett? Ben? We can go now. Here's your phone." She snapped me out of my thoughts, handing me my phone.

"Oh, okay. Yeah let's go."

The walk from where we were was about 20 minutes. The whole time we were just joking around and just having a blast. It was just like old times.

When we arrived I called my mother to tell her we made it. Then I look at the house, I realized how much I missed this. I take a deep breath. I looked at Rosaline and she grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.

Right when I walked in I smelled the familiar scent of caramel. And the first person I saw was Mrs. Myers. My face grew into a huge grin. She had a grin that matched mine. She rushed over and gave me a bear hug, and I returned the gesture. When she pulled away she had tears in her eyes.

"I miss you so much, honey."

"I missed you too, Mrs. Myers." Tears start to prick my eyes, as well.

She slaps my arm lightly, "It's Liz to you." She looks over to Rosaline, "You go get snickers, I want to talk to Bennett."

Rosaline nods and walks up stairs and disappears in the hallway.

Liz gives me a stern look, "I know what you did." She crosses her arms. Her and Rosaline have that down. They look so much alike.

I look down, "Liz, I'm so sorry." I look her in the eyes.

"You hurt her, Bennett. I love you to death and you are like a son to me. So, I can freely call you an idiot."

"I know, and that's what I'm doing. I want to earn her trust again. I want to try this again. I'm ready."

"I hope you are. I'm rooting for you, hun." She gave me a small smile and hugs me again.

I hug her back, "I won't let either one of you down this time."