15

I didn't know how long it had been, but I had fallen asleep on one of the benches in the waiting room. The last thing I remember was Tessa setting my wrist and giving me some medicine to ease the pain.

I looked up to find a man, his face bore a weary expression and he smelled strongly of antiseptic, causing my nose to crinkle. He stood like he could topple over at anytime.

It must have been he who roused me then, the ID hanging from his neck read "DR CARSON". I guess that explained the smell.

I moved my eyes from him, and instead searched about for Tessa, but couldn't find her. Some how I had come to like her presence. She was like an anchor in this turbid sea of emotions.

"Hello, I'm doctor Carson"
I know, I thought. But instead just stared at him
"oh, alright then. Tessa tells me you were involved in the crash"
I nodded my head in response, not feeling the need to talk.
"I see she's fixed up your wrist, but we'll still need to do a scan, just to make sure we don't miss anything" another nod.

"what is your relationship with Mr Sanderson?"
He is my sadistic maniacal employer, whose constant abuse I suffer. But that will be too many words to say.

A monotonous "I'm his Maid" was what I settled with.

"Oh, alright. We've contacted Mr Sanderson's family, and they should be here soon. In the meantime you can go in to see him if you so desire. He lost a lot of blood, and needed transfusion.

We were able to stop the bleeding and stabilize his breathing, his heartbeat is stronger now but he's lost consciousness. It's pretty bad, but we've done the best we could for him, its all in his hands now and God's.... if you pray."

I just keep staring blankly at him

"uhh have a nice day then" he said, hurrying away. He must have found my utter lack of emotion disconcerting

Normally I'd have been friendlier, maybe flash my not so pearly whites too. But this day was not one for fraternizing.

A part of me is marveled at this impassive outlook I had adopted, I had never been impassive. I didn't exactly wear my heart on my sleeve but never was I impassive, and cavalier too it seems.

The other part of me, just couldn't care less, I guess this other part wins.

I'm a bit hungry, it's been hours since my last meal, and recent events have taken a toll on me. I still have some change left on me, and so I proceed to the vending machine. It's down the hall, not too far but it takes me ages to get there. Who knew being in an auto crash could be this draining.

I get myself a coke and a bag of tangy flavoured potato chips, not bothering to get to my seat before taking a swig of the coke. I'd have liked it cooler than this though, but oh well.
I catch the disapproving glances of some people, but I'm too exhausted to care, much less feel mortified.

They should be glad I didn't let out a loud belch. I was feeling cavalier enough to do it, too bad I'd never learned to do it deliberately. The looks on their faces would have been priceless I'd wager. probably even brighten my day.

Tessa meets up with me on my way back, favouring me with one of those smiles I'd come to like, there was a certain motherliness about her that just calms me, I can't help it when I smile back in return, albeit not as broad as hers.

"hello, dear I see you're moving about now... How's the arm?"

I raised it for her to see, "it's no more as swollen as it was, and doesn't hurt as much. I do feel a bit woozy though"

"yes, that's to be expected, it is an effect of the drug I administered to you, but not to worry it should wear off soon. I'd better leave you to your food then"

With that, she gave me a pat on the back and moved on.

I had just sat down to properly enjoy the snack when in walked a man and a woman I presume was his wife, they strode past me to the reception. Their strides were more arrogant than confident.

Both were quite tall for their individual sexes and exuded an air of privilege. But there the similarly ended. The woman was thin and austere, with piercing blue eyes and a hawkish nose. The man had an impressive grey beard, I suspect was to hide a weak chin. Aside the beard his face was rather unremarkable.

"we would like to see our son please, William Sanderson. We got a call saying he'd been involved in an auto crash and was admitted here"

"oh, yes....if you'd just follow me, I'll lead you to him"

Our son huh?... why am I not surprised, the apple truly does not fall far from the tree.

*******

Do vote, comment and all of that.