05 | eyes on fire

CHAPTER FIVE

EYES ON FIRE

          "YOU LOOK LIKE DEATH," Blake states, when I push open the door to our room

          "YOU LOOK LIKE DEATH," Blake states, when I push open the door to our room. During the past three days, there were times when I wished I was sharing a room with a girl or if I had landed Jared's single room; however, there have also been times when I've been simply glad Blake is here, even with his snarky (and, sometimes, tasteless) comments.

          I also feel bad for him, knowing his group of friends was torn to shreds, according to what Faye told me on the night of the freshman welcoming party, and, while I certainly can't replace them, I want him to feel safe here—I want him to know he can trust me. While I've never been through having one of my best friends die, I've lost friends and know how heartbreaking it is. I know all about it.

          I feel bad for him, but I'm not going to pity him, knowing that's one of the least helpful things someone could do in a situation like this. I hated how people walked on eggshells around me after Natasha ditched me last year as if she was my possession and I had simply forgotten her on a shelf and moved on with my life; that was me trying to move on from what had happened, considering I had lost Mother and my best friend in just a span of a couple months, and I didn't want them to treat me any differently.

          All I wanted was for them to acknowledge it sucked—I wanted validation, damn it, because I'm human and I need to feel that way every once in a while, just to be sure I'm not overreacting. I didn't want them to coddle me and never mention their best friends or mothers in front of me out of fear of upsetting me. I wanted to live—I wanted to be Montana, not the girl who had lost her mother or the girl who had lost her best friend. I wanted to be my own person out of my relationship with someone else.

          Thus, I decide to trust him like I want him to trust me. Relationships always have to go both ways and they simply won't work if only one of the parties involved is making an effort to keep them going—I learned that the hard way. It's frustrating that I even allowed myself to thing things would be any different now when Natasha doesn't seem to have changed a bit since high school.