17 | little by little

featuring:

featuring:

jacob artist as levi taylor (mentioned only)

kaya scodelario as meredith "red" carson (mentioned only)

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

LITTLE BY LITTLE

          "WELL, YOU LOOK TERRIBLE," Veronica delicately states, when I meet up with her right outside my room

          "WELL, YOU LOOK TERRIBLE," Veronica delicately states, when I meet up with her right outside my room. She's slumped on one of the couches in the common room, with her laptop set over her legs, and the coffee cup next to her is still steaming, with the bitter scent of the beverage warming up the air around us. I throw her a simple grimace, as I'm decidedly not in the best mood to be cracking jokes. "Is everything alright?"

          "I'm fine," I reply, fixing my knit beanie, thankful my hair is thick enough to protect my ears from the cold, "I guess. It's just not a good day for Blake, but I think we should leave him be for the time being. Maybe he'll feel better later, or something." I sigh. "Hopefully."

          "Isn't it always a bad day for Blake? I swear, that guy is in a bad mood so often I'm beginning to think that's his natural state."

          "It's the anniversary of his best friend's death."

          Veronica immediately goes silent, pursing her lips together in a thin line, and I don't find the energy to say another word about it. While I'd, undoubtedly, side with him in a situation like this particular one—death anniversaries are no joke and I know how painful they can be—I also don't want to drag this subject out of fear Faye might hear me.

          Even though Blake asked me to keep an eye on her, I'm not entirely willing to speak freely about something that hurt them all so badly to the point of shattering several friendship ties between them—it was strong enough to tear Avery and Blake apart, a friendship that had begun when they were born. With Faye and Blake having managed to slowly—very, very slowly—reconnect, the last thing I want to do is ruin that for them.