Chapter Seven

"That was pretty good. One of her fastest times yet!" Fred's voice is full of excitement and Aponi looks at her with something else. I'm curious about what her looks mean but I don't say anything, allowing them to ramble on about the race on Friday and who was going and who wasn't. I stand there, third-wheeling as the mare is lead away, throwing a dirty look my way. All around me the morning works are wrapping up, I try to find Bea but she is nowhere to be found. I move to leave because there is nothing left for me to do here but I don't because there is no way I am going back. For a second my mind moves to the old man, having forgotten about him until now. I guess he solves the question as to who takes care of Dagger. I can't help but remember how calm and relaxed he was, even around me he hasn't been that calm.

"Hey! So what do you think?" Bea bounces to my side, dirt streaking across her face, and a glow to her from riding.

"It's a lot of fun." I say this, though I mean so much more, my body wishing for the rush again.

"I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come over with me to the other part of the farm?"

"Other part?"

"Yeah, Fred is partners with a larger racing stable, so this is merely extension of their larger program."

"Let's go."

Her truck rumbles loudly as she talks as fast as she drives, recounting her experiences from the morning works. She also mentions something about her horse but I am too distracted by what I see up head that I ignore her. I can see endless amounts of fence, containing gleaming horses. They dot the gentle rolling hills, curving around trees and ending near the main complex. It is one that I would expect to see in Kentucky, with the tree lined drive, and the multiple barns that house thoroughbreds. Everything is as pristine as Oxford, and I wonder if the same person helped design it or if it is merely a coincidence. There are trucks in the parking area, though they are large and gleaming, higher quality than the one's at Fred's version of Green River.

Somewhere I catch sight of a sign with elegant cursive writing on it, declaring it to be "Green Oak Racing Stables". This surprises me because I had assumed it would have the same name, though I guess the green in front is enough to link them together.

"They have all the first string racers here. As well as the broodmares, foals and yearlings. Then they send the extra two-year olds to Fred and the second and third string racers."

I nod, stepping out into the sunlight, feeling awkward now in my breeches and tall boots. As I realize that Bea is merely wearing jeans, just like most everyone else had in the morning. I look too snobbish, but there is also nothing that I can do to fix it. So I take a deep breath and follow her into one of the closest barns.

"So why did you want to come here?" She doesn't say anything in response though, a blush tracing out over her cheeks. If she came here to meet up with some boy I am not going to third wheel.

"Bea!" There is the shout of a surprised male voice as she peeks into one of the stalls, smiling so big, that I can only roll my eyes.

"I didn't know you were coming over." He is wiping his hands on his pants, the horse in the stall with him looks young, possibly a yearling, as it holds that awkward youthfulness.

When he steps out of the stall I am taken back by the endless length of his legs, easily putting him taller than Bea and I. His dark hair is a mess, and he has the wispy beginnings of a mustache over his upper lip. There is nothing attractive about him, however, Bea looks at him as if he is the last man on the earth.

"Ivan this is Ollie, my new best friend." I don't know if I would give us the label of best friends yet, as we haven't known each other for more than a day but I still smile at Ivan. The name is ugly, and I can't help but believe that it suits his large nose well.