Chapter Twenty-Four

He's black, a dark absence of color, with a broad head and a scraggly forelock. The hoofbeats echo in my ears and beat my heart faster. A body that is large and thin following after, the sun reflecting off a coat that is dull, not reflecting the light in anyway. I don't know if I can stand or do anything my body stiff, my mouth falling open. There is no way.

The closer the horse gets the closer I get to the fence, drawn to it in stumbling steps, as I catch sight of a milky eye. I close my eyes for a moment, hands resting gently on the rusted gate. I don't want to breathe, or open my eyes, because I know when I do he won't be there anymore. I'm merely dreaming, or this is some evil joke on Simon's part to evoke some type of pain in me.

There is hot breath on my head and I open my eyes, Dagger staring at me cautiously, though he reaches forward to nudge at my hand.

My heart shatters into a million pieces before becoming whole again. I don't know if I can handle the intensity of this, my hands shaking, eyes blinking hard. There is a sting there, as his muzzle runs across my fingers, the whiskers brushing against them.

He's here.

And alive.

A lump forms itself in my throat, clogging there and making it hard to breathe as I reach out a shaking hand to touch him. My fingers grazing against the edge of his soft face, before I retract them. I'm shoving the gate open in the next second, going for him with my arms wide as I wrap them around his neck. I bury my face into his scraggly mane, taking deep breaths of his new, wild scent. Everything about his is alive, and I can feel it, wetness forming at the corners of my eyes. I release him, taking a step back but not taking my hands off of him, as I give him a firm once over, his black body blurring in my vision.

I can't look away from him, as he lips gently at my arm, blowing warm air on it. I don't think I ever want to leave him as I turn to Simon, the question there in my eyes. I don't want to ask anything, I just want to stay like that forever, Dagger at my side, and my heart whole, or mostly whole again.

"Ollie, meet Ty."

That is all the explanation that I need, as my arms wrap around Ty, Dagger merely something of the past now.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

If you don't understand thee ending just ask and I'll explain it!

The epilogue is next, but we are at the end of the line for Dagger's Point!