Chapter Twenty-Two

"Who is it?" Fred shouts, from somewhere in the house, the sound of pans clattering following behind.

"Just us."

Bea calls this out in a way that feels too comfortable, as I shift nervously, looking at the walls with their shelves of stuff. There really isn't a better word for it, just shelves upon shelves, lining the walls with different ornaments, and other odd objects sitting on them. If I didn't know any better I would think that some little old lady lived here. My eyes land on a wall holding only pictures; they all seem pretty dated, but all of them are of Fred on a particular horse. It's tall and lean, with a shadow roll over the nose band of his bridle. The pictures are of all different moments, from them racing down a track together, to the winner's circle, and even one of them sleeping in a stall together. I find myself stepping closer to get a better look, drawn by the dark horse and his bright haired rider. I lose myself in them, forgetting for just a moment the clenching tightness that fills my chest.

"He was a looker," Fred sighs, standing in the doorway to what I believe to be the kitchen, a wooden spoon in hand.

"Who was he?"

"Like A Heathen."

The name doesn't sound familiar to me, not that it should, I have never really surrounded myself in the racing community. I don't like the way she says was, it speaks too much of Dagger. He was alive, and now, he's not. I can feel my dark mood settling back in like storm clouds on the horizon.

"Why don't you guys head down to the barn and check out the new horse. I think you might like him Ollie."

I don't like her tone, she sounds so chipper and happy as if everything is alright, even though it is far from it. I don't argue though, following Conan and Bea out. They look at each other with a glint in their eyes, as if they know a big secret and they aren't going to let me in on it. I can only begin to imagine what the secret might be, and how vile it is. I feel myself drifting farther into myself, walking slowly behind the pair. I doubt this is going to be worth it, simply another horse in a sea of horses. There is truly no reasoning for me to be here, Conan and Bea have each other and these race horses have no tie to me. The only horse I want is Dagger, and that's no longer possible.

I follow them to the third barn, dragging my feet as I stand outside as they vanish into the darkness. I don't want to go in there, with them. But I do, taking slow steps. I have no interest in anything, not the horses, or the two people who count, in some way as my friends. I barely notice the horses that stick their heads out at me, young, curious faces trying to get a good look at the newcomer. I don't reach out to place a hand near their whiskered noses, to feel their hot breath. Instead I keep walking to where Conan and Bea now wait for me. I sigh, a loud and long sound, as Conan stares at the horse and Bea at me. I know they have already seen it, so I don't understand why any of this is a big deal.

"Hurry up! I know you'll love him!"

The way she says it, voice high, eyes sparkling does nothing to entice me. There is no way that any horse of interest to me will be standing in that stall. Pausing just a moment I steel myself for the horse that has everyone so excited. I'll need to try and force some type of interest in it, even if it is an alien horse with tentacles and lazer eyes.

Then I glance in at it.

There is the curving on a long, lean neck, the chestnut coat dark, rich like blood. Ears that flatten themselves at me, and a delicate face, with large round nostrils. If I wasn't so set on being miserable I would say that she is beautiful. Granted it is in a; I'll happily tear you limb from limb, way. She watches me with her large eyes, acting as if I may lunge at her, or become the one that shoots laser beams from my eyes. I don't smile, but I also don't frown, trying to stay as neutral as possible.

"What's her name?"

"Vacation Screams," Bea snorts, the sound causing the filly to scuttle backwards, ears pinning even tighter against her head.

"Charming."

"Yeah, she's related to Heathen, so Fred bought her," Conan says this, his hand resting too close to mine on the stall door, his body seeming to loom too closely. I shuffle away accordingly, trying to ignore the heat in my cheeks, this is beyond ridiculous. I shouldn't be here, I should be home, in bed, regretting every choice I have ever made. Not looking in on a filly that I want to keep for myself, just after I lost yet another horse. It's not worth it.

"Ollie..." Conan starts to speak but it perfectly cut off by my phone as it begins to ring loudly. I jump at first, my heart leaping in my chest, to rattle around for a few more beats before I answer it, the number not one that I recognize.

"Hello?"

"Is this Ollie?" the voice is oddly familiar, gruff and old, with the smallest hint at an accent sitting in there.

"Yes."

"This is Simon, meet me at Nimrod's in twenty."

I don't have time to say anything else, the phone cutting off and the voice vanishing with it. I can feel goosebumps prickling their way along my skin, I never thought that I would hear from him again. At least not with Dagger gone. I guess that now he wants to rattle on about his death. I know that I can't blame him, but I also don't know if I can take it. Maybe it is best for me to not go, to avoid the uncomfortable reality that would be certain to settle in. Neither Conan or Bea care about the phone call standing a few feet away talking quietly between themselves. Something twists in my gut, a knowing feeling that settles there. I shouldn't be bothered by them being so friendly to one another; but I am, and I can't deny it. Taking a deep breath, I clear my throat, like a teacher having caught two kids kissing under the stairs.

"Can one of you take me back? I have somewhere I need to be."