Chapter Seventeen

When we pull up to the circus grounds everything is deserted, merely a large flapping tent in a field of brown grass. I don't know what to say or do as I look over to Conan who is simply staring at it, having yet to move.

"The tickets were for today and the very first showing starts at eleven."

His frown deepens as he fishes the tickets out of his pocket, scanning over them quickly. There is a loud sigh that comes from him and I look away, back to the flapping tent.

"They're for next week. I should've looked at them closer. I'm sorry."

He looks so disappointed, that I reach out for his shoulder, resting my hand there with a smile.

"It's okay, don't worry about it. I have something to show you." As soon as I say it, I regret it.

"You do?"

"Yeah, do you know where Oxford is?"

"Yes."

"That's where we're going." I say, settling back in the seat for the long drive back, my stomach a pit of nerves, I shouldn't have said anything at all, Dagger is supposed to be only mine. I know how dangerous it is, but I trust him, in some weird twisted way, even though I know nothing about him.

The drive back seems to go faster and before I know it we're pulling down the driveway and Conan is looking at everything. I feel self-conscious for a moment, at the small sneer that slips onto his face at the sight of the barn, and the perfection that everything is. For a moment I think that I might see Dad peeking out of the barn, but then my head jerks away and I'm directing him to the cottage. I've never invited a guy to my house before and I can feel another shift of nerves, but that is not the reason he's here.

"You can park here."

He is suspiciously silent, a muscle in his jaw clenching and I think then that I regret this even more. I hadn't expected him to end up so tense and on edge. I want to ask what his problem is, but instead I just get out, hoping that he'll follow me. But he doesn't, sitting in his truck after my door closes. His hands are still on the steering wheel, sitting there while he deliberates something and I wait, my heart squeezing. Finally, just when I expect him to drive away he steps out, staring me down with hard eyes.

"What do you want to show me? How fancy this place is? Do you just want to rub it in my face? I thought you were better than that Ollie," he snaps.

"Really. I hate this place, Conan," I wave my hand around to everything around us, a sneer on my lips as well.

"Then what do you want to show me? Your horse that costs more than a year at college?"

"What is wrong with you? You can follow me or you can fuck off."

I stalk off taking my new route to the stud barn, one that is longer but lowers the chances of getting caught. I don't look back to see if he follows, my whole body ready to start shaking with fury, but the hurt is there before. It's not the first time I have heard someone say something like that to me, as if I'm the type of person to go around flaunting what I have. What I have is nothing compared to what I have lost.

I can hear Conan behind me, and I'm surprised, I hadn't expected him to follow, in my mind he was hightailing it away in his truck to never come around me again. When the stud barn comes into view I pause for just a moment, taking a deep breath and waiting for Conan to step beside me. I'm still mad at him, even if it's not really justifiable. We move towards it together, and I take another breath before we step into the darkness.

"Nice, an abandoned barn. Is that really what you wanted to show me?"

"Shut up and keep walking," I snap, shooting a sharp glare his way.

Then we are at Dagger's stall and he's rushing forward to greet me, before retreating at the sight of Conan, blowing suspicious air through his nostrils. He looks beautiful, neck arching, hooves restless on the ground, not touching for long. I know that Conan is taken aback by him, his eyes wide at his display. Dagger rushes towards the front again, ears twisting every which way, before he holds still nosing the bars. I slip inside the stall, not inviting Conan, tracing my hands along his neck, not able to keep the smile off of my lips. He means a lot to me and he's not even mine.

"Conan, meet Dagger's Point, the devil horse."

"He's the horse from the stories?" he steps closer to the stall, looking in.

"Yeah."

Dagger pins his ears at Conan for just a moment, but he doesn't react to him at all, unlike how he reacts to Jasper. I rest my hands on his back, remembering our ride last night with a twist of excitement in my veins. I have all the intention in the world to ride him again tonight, but hopefully not as late.

"I thought he was put down?"

"No, Mr. Oxford has a hard time letting things go."

"Look at him. He looks like shit."

I can't help the sad smile that slips on my lips at his angry tone, I knew that he would understand in some manner.

"Step back and I'll bring him out."

He backs off and I reach out of the stall to grab Award's halter and lead, trying to shove that out of my mind as I loop it over his head and lead him out. I am oddly proud of him as he respects my space, not crowding or rushing me as he used to do. Instead he stands in the aisle, alive with interest in Conan, but he doesn't move, just watches as the redhead approaches him. Conan extends his hand slowly for Dagger to sniff, a long black head stretching out to brush his muzzle against it, before retracting his head, seeming not to care. I hold my breath as Conan steps forward, moving around me to place his hand on Dagger's neck. I wait for something to happen, but nothing does, Dagger still aware of Conan, but not doing anything about it.

"He's beautiful."

He moves his hand along Dagger's side, pausing to look at the spur scars on his side, and the crest of his hipbone. Dagger reaches over to nudge me with his nose, rubbing it against my arm, his whiskers prickling me.

"No one else knows that he's down here," I tell Conan, our eyes meeting for a long moment.

"Not even Bea?"

"Nope. And you can't tell anyone either."

"Okay."

I hadn't expected him to agree, but I feel as if he is still too wrapped up in Dagger's magic to say anything else. But I can't blame him, Dagger is almost a mythical beast.

"What are you doing?"

It's Jasper, standing in the doorway to the barn, looking like a storm.