Chapter 16

He dropped her off at her house the moment she claimed that she had to go home. The rain was done with its show way before that but Takashi didn't dare to utter a word to her.

Arashi felt sorry for him. Making him feel awkward at comforting her. Because her tears weren't Honey's. They weren't the tears of a person who had acknowledged problems that could be easily solved. She was sure that Takashi would reach a point and just blame it on her period but he saw the label on the bottle. He might jump into conclusions that she's self-harming (she wasn't) and he might tell the Host Club with what little words he spoke.

She sighed exhaustedly as she entered her room. She couldn't climb the tree beside her window so she had to sneak in and avoid the second floor where all guests were welcomed. Her bedroom was on the last floor and she had always wished for elevators.

She fell on her bed and allowed sleep to overtake her senses. Who cared if her shoes were still on or her drenched clothes were uncomfortable.

She just wanted to sleep.

|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|.|

Takashi kept his eyes on the book in his hands.

He was going back to her house since she forgot a book at his place. He remembered how she gradually calmed down after opening it with shaky hands and trailed her eyes over every word with desperation for an escape.

He merely thought she might need it again.

He rang the doorbell next to the gates and waiting for a voice to resonate from the small speakers.

"Hello, can I help you?"

"Takashi Morinozuka, friend of Arashi's."

He could sense the hesitatance in the few seconds before the the gate clicked open. He pushed it gently and closed it back with the same click.

The one who opened the door was standing there with the most impassive expression Takashi had ever seen. Even his own held some emotions and the only thing close to emotions was that obviously fake smile plastered on his face.

His long navy blue hair fell over his shoulders and not in a low ponytail as most long-haired butlers would have. His eyes were light brown and as warm as the dying embers of a raging fire. His nose was long like Arashi's and his cheekbones were high. His lips were thin and he had front bangs that framed his face handsomely.

"I'll show you to Arashi's room ."

He followed him and observed the place as he did. A beautiful theme of beige and light blue was what first welcomed him. As warm as the colours were, there was still a feeling deep in his chest that there was something wrong with this manor.

They reached Arashi's room within a few minutes after climbing a ridiculous amount of stairs. It was all silent. The long-haired butler didn't bother to say anything or make a conversation or even apologise about the many stairs.

Takashi didn't mind.

The butler knocked on the door and when he didn't hear anything, he slowly swung it open as though someone would be waiting to spring up and kill them. Rage filled up the two men at the sight before them.

A man with short brown hair stood with a malicious smirk and Takashi recognised him as the Head of the Azuma family. Arashi was on the ground, looking away from it all and had her small trembling hands support her. But she also turned her head to see the unwelcomed guests.

"Inazuma what is the meaning of this?"

The man approached the butler with an obviously threatening demeanor in every footstep of his but the latter remained unfazed. His jaw was tense but Takashi knew it wasn't in fear as much as it was in fury.

"I believe I knocked, sir," came the cold reply.

Arashi got up as fast she she could and pulled Takashi as she ran down the staircases. She didn't stop running until they were out on the front porch.

She panted and struggled to take deep breaths and even them. With her hands on her knees, Takashi was sure that she would fall but she straightened herself quickly, proving him wrong.

What are you doing here?

Her signs were weak and sloppy since she used up whatever energy she had left to execute them.

Takashi took a look at her form. She was swaying a little as if it helped her stablise herself and give her some balance which she lacked immensely. Takashi didn't reply. Just stretched his arms a little so she could see the book he had in his hands.

that summer

She tilted her head a little to the side and snorted softly.

She took the book and stepped close to him enough to be within reach of a hug. Which was very close. Close enough for her to feel his own sporadic heartbeats. Arashi wasn't short either so he didn't doubt that she felt them and that was what her smirk was all about.

His hand was reluctantly raised to her head and smoothed itself over it until it reached her the small of her back.

She pulled away first.

I'll see you at school?

He nodded and turned away.

Questions and possibilities gnawed on his brain on his way back home and he prayed to have the answers but until then, he pondered on what he would do with what he knew so far.

Arashi was depressed and taking the medication. Her father was abusing her. Books were her escape. She couldn't tell anyone about it because she had trust issues. And for some reason he still didn't know, she didn't report him for child abuse.

And she still had the energy to smile.