Chapter 6: Be Bold

"That is the dumbest plan I have ever heard," Alex's voice came in over Kara's comLink.

Kara frowned in irritation. "What do you mean? It's a brilliant plan! Whoa—" Kara dodged to the right as the giant robot that had been terrorising Chinatown very nearly caught her with its fist.

"Watch your three!" Alex chastised.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm all over it," Kara said and gave the robot a blast of her heat vision. "Anyway, what's wrong with my plan? If Lena Luthor can be into Supergirl, getting her to fall for Kara Danvers should be easy! We're the same person!"

"Need I remind you that the whole point of a secret identity is that you're not the same person?"

"That's irrelevant," Kara mumbled and grunted as she swooped in to catch a falling post just before it crushed a group of schoolchildren.

"You saved us! Thank you, Supergirl!" the teacher cried.

"Don't mention it." Kara flashed a grin before taking off and unleashing a series of devastating punches upon the robot.

"I think you'll find it's a pretty big wrinkle in your plan. You and Supergirl couldn't be more different."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kara asked defensively. "What does Supergirl have that Kara Danvers doesn't?"

"Well...for one thing, she has super alien powers. Oh, and she's got perfect hair, a sweet outfit, a slammin' bod, and did I mention she can fly?"

Kara growled low in her throat and released a decimating beam from her eyes, nailing the weak spot Winn had identified earlier, causing the robot to short circuit and crumple down to the ground.

"How am I supposed to compete with that?" she moaned helplessly.

"Sorry to interrupt, Danvers's," Winn's voice sounded in her ear, "but Kara it sounds like you might be jealous of yourself."

"I am not," Kara protested indignantly.

"You must really like Lena," Alex mused.

"Of course I do, have you seen her perfect face?" Kara sighed in exasperation, forcing a smile as she touched down to the ground where a crowd stood cheering for her.

"A Super and a Luthor. How Shakespearian of you," Winn teased.

"Butt out, Winn," Kara scowled. She set to work rounding up the pieces of the robot and doing what she could to clean up the damage caused by the fight.

"Message received, Winn out."

Kara heard Alex sigh on the other end of the line. "She can't know who you are, Kara," she said, a serious tone encroaching on her voice.

"It's too risky, I know, you don't have to tell me that. Besides, I'm not ready for her to know that about me either. Not yet at least. I just..."

"You really like her. Trust me, I've been there, I know the feeling."

Kara nodded glumly. "It's not just that. I need to know she 's not just there for the cape and the powers and, as you said, the perfect hair. I need to know if she likes me, the real me, without all of that...pizzazz."

Alex went quiet on the other line. "She'd be crazy not to like you, Kara," she said after a pause. "Do what you've got to do. I'll be here if it all implodes."

Kara sighed with a small smile, relieved to at least have the support of her sister. "Thank you, Alex. And thanks for saying 'if' rather than when."

"They don't call me Alex 'supportive' Danvers for nothing."

"Nobody calls you that."

"Just clean up the robot, Supergirl."