Luthors

It seemed that the impossible had become possible when Lena opened her eyes the next morning: she'd slept through the entire night. She rubbed at her eyes with the heel of her hand, getting her bearings in the ocean of pillows and blankets that was her bed.

She barely remembered getting to bed; the last thing she remembered was resting her head against Supergirl's shoulder, lips straining to be on hers again, but her eyes were just so heavy.

"This is good," she'd breathed, "but I can barely keep my eyes open...to be continued?"

She must have fallen asleep instantly, because she didn't even remember hearing Supergirl's response.

Sitting up slowly, she stretched her arms overhead, freezing when she spotted a piece of paper by her bedside table.

Good Morning,

I hope you slept well.

Good luck at the prison today. I'll be in the sky if you need me.

To be continued.

Lena sighed and laid back down on the bed, holding the note to her chest. When her eyes flicked open again, they were completely focused.

The trip to the prison was just over two hours long, but it gave Lena time to centre herself and clear her head. Thinking her way through what she was going to say to Lex would be futile, she knew that. He was just too unpredictable. It had been two years since she'd seen her brother. Who would be sitting in the chair opposite her? Lex Luthor, her brother who once pulled every gadget in their kitchen apart with her just to see how they worked? Or Lex Luthor, the Superman-obsessed murderer?

Lena gripped the handles of her motorbike hard and accelerated, tearing down the highway and leaving National City glittering behind her.

The prison felt quiet, like the place was holding its breath. Lena didn't know what she had been expecting, but this eerie silence certainly wasn't it. The warden had been expecting her, and she walked right in, cool and collected, at least for now. Her skin prickled as she strode through the corridors behind the warden, an ice pick running down the length of her spine, chipping at her skeleton.

"He's in here," the warden reported as they reached a small room. "Just say the word and we'll get you out, Miss Luthor."

Lena swallowed and wrapped her fingers around the cool steel of the door. She tensed, and pushed it open.

Lex looked exactly like she remembered him, save for the grey prison jumpsuit and the dark circles under his eyes. He sat straight-backed in a metal chair in the middle of the room, somehow still managing to look like he owned the place despite being cuffed by his wrists and ankles. As the door fell shut behind her, his lips curled up into half a smile.

"I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever come to visit," he said softly. "Quaint, isn't it? Sure, it doesn't have the grandeur of Luthor mansion or the modern touch of my place in Metropolis, but it has a certain charm. The barbed wire really adds a homey touch, don't you think?"

Lex offered her a grin as Lena regarded him from across the room. The way his grey eyes twinkled transported Lena back to the time they had combined Lex's remote control car with Lillian's alarm clock, and giggled mirthfully as she'd chased it all over the top floor of the Luthor mansion. They'd both been punished for their mischief; however, unlike Lex, Lena hadn't been kissed on the forehead and forgiven straight after. Still. It had been worth it.

"Come now, you didn't come all this way just to stand there and stare at me, did you? Please, sit."

Lena remembered herself and sat down in the chair opposite Lex, delicately folding one hand over the other. Her green eyes flicked up to meet Lex's cool grey.