Chapter Sixteen

Mama didn't sleep well through the night. In fact she never slept at all. I was aware because I couldn't sleep either. I was worried about my money, my own piggy bank. Mama kept tossing round her bed. It was as if her bed was filled with magic pins which made her so uncomfortable. I knew she was worried, something was eating her up and I was certain it wasn't my piggy bank nor last night's event. Her alarm rang at exactly 4am. It was her usual time of waking me up for self meditation. As funny as it sounds, Mama never fails to wake me up from my very deep and pleasurable sleep at this odd hour just for me to meditate.

I hated it!

She says I needed to think about my life, my wrongs and rights and what I wanted to be. She insists early mornings were great times to reflect on one's life. But my question remained "what would a poor, hungry and helpless me be reflecting on?"

My daily hungers?
Unending tears?
Pains and misery?
The beatings and accusations?
The sexual molestation?
What should I be reflecting on?

Mama knew I hated this odd invention and wouldn't stop pulling it off. I was given thirty minutes for this reflection before starting off my chores.

But today was different. Mama just turned off the alarm and still laid back.  I didn't need to be awoken so I stood up and sat on my bed. I dragged my butt closer to the wall leaning on it for support. Mama raised her head and noticed I was awake. She exhaled and laid back. I began counting the ceiling as I didn't have any better game to play. I made a tapping sound hitting my finger on the wall as I nodded to an imaginary music. Mama still didn't say a word to me, not even her usual bible reading. I reached out to her.

"Should I read the usual chapters?" I asked. She shook her head, didn't even look up at me. I knew something was wrong but I didn't want to bug her further. I sat back on my bed waiting for a little brightness in the sky. I was waiting to start my chores but unknowingly dozed off in seconds.

I staggered up to a clattering sound. The sky was as bright as ever and the early morning sun had risen beautifully in it.

I had overslept! 

I jumped up from the bed and raced to the door. I turned the knob, pulled the door towards me and stood face to face with a stunned Mama, who was staring at the broken pieces of a ceramic cup shattered on the floor.

"Good morning" I greeted, squatting to pick up the shattered pieces. I didn't hear a response but my mind felt she may have nodded to my greeting. I carefully picked up the pieces and went downstairs to trash them. I went back up with a broom to sweep out the remaining tiny ones but was surprised to see Mama still there, standing and moping endlessly.
I began my chores though wondering why no one ever woke me up. My aunts would have slapped me or mama would have drawn my ears. Today is definitely odd and I was certain it wasn't a good thing. Then I remembered my piggy bank.  For a second I was pushed to go check on it, to see if it was still intact, but I thought otherwise. I would definitely be an easy catch if I go through with that. I swept the house and the compound, washed the plates, filled up the empty gallons in both Mama, uncle and my aunts' convenience. I ran some other minor errands and began dressing up for school. I was late but not as I used to be. I went to Mama to tell her I was leaving but she just nodded.

Downstairs, I carefully looked around to ensure no one was on sight, I then rushed underneath the stairs carefully lifting up the heaped clothes. I searched frantically with my heart jumping in and out of my bubbling stomach but was saddened when I couldn't find my hidden money. Tiny streak of tears fell peacefully on my cheek and it's warmth sent chills to my face. I believed Mama had taken it and dejectedly stood up to leave but unexpectedly, I saw my folded notes lying by the wall. Happily I slipped them inside my school bag and raced off to school. I had a plan I needed to execute, but right now I needed to be in school.
*******