5. The Training

Lucas's PoV

Ness says that he will help me learn to fight other people. So we walk together and approach a battle scheduler.

"Ness, Lucas. " He says aloud while typing.
"Onett." He types, talking quietly. It's cute. Wait, what?
He hits a button and the screen says "Thank you."

"C'mon, follow me." He says with a smile. I quietly but quickly follow behind him. We go in an elevator. God, I haven't been on one of these since...

I shake my head slightly and stand still, stealing a glance towards Ness. He didn't notice. Hopefully.

"Knock knock." Ness says.
"Wh-Who's there?" I ask. Ness faces me and frowns slightly. It looks strange on him.
"So you can't use telepathy?" He asks, his mouth unmoving.
'Well, I mean I can try.' I think to myself and shrug to Ness.
I focus on Ness and think of something to say.

"So you can't use telepathy who?"

Ness steps back a little bit.
"I've... Never heard you speak without a stutter." Ness says, out loud this time.

I hum a tune of acceptance and follow him as he walks out of the elevator. We are in a room with a slightly see through screen on the wall. Ness presses a few things and suddenly, the world goes white.

When I can see, I hear a countdown. I'm riding on a Mr. Saturn coffee table and I instinctively jump off when it stops. It rides away and I see Ness flash into existence, shaking soot off of him.

I wave to him and he jumps onto the top of a drug store in a single bound. What? I jump to meet him but I underestimate how far and high I jump. I crash into him, knocking him over.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" I say, helping him up while apologising profusely.

Ness smiles and lets me help him up. He pats my shoulder.

"Dude, don't worry. It didn't hurt."

I believe him barely. He sits down and pats the spot next to him. I sit beside him. He points to a small house on the side of a steep, rocky hill.

"That's where I live." He says with a smile. I smile too.

"I-it looks nice." I say. I try to see what he's thinking. I stare at the back of his head and listen attentively.
It was more memories than thoughts, as he remembered the first time he left his home. It was cold and dark, but Ness wasn't scared.

He quickly stands up and clears his throat.

"So, Lucas." I stand at the mention of my name.
"The battlefields here have some... technologically, uh, superior advancments to the technology you've seen. First of all, gravity is much lower than Earth's. Second of all, you have to hit me hard enough to send me flying off the edge and into the barrier, but you don't feel the pain. The barrier is pretty much the point where we get taken back to the spawn."

I don't know what half of this stuff means, but it sounds intriguing. Ness teaches me about fighting, recovering and grabbing. There's still a lot of other techniques I need to master if I ever want a chance at winning.

We practice against each other for a while, him teaching me what I can use my PSI for. According to him, PK Thunder is the most helpful move.

"If you're launched off the edge, you can get yourself back up if you hit yourself in the right angle with PK Thunder." He says.

"A-Alright." I let him know I'm listening.

"Look, I'll show you." He says.

"Wait, what?" But before I could do anything, he flung himself off the side of the stage.

"PK Thunder!" He yells, a ball of lightning appearing and circling around him, hitting him in the side. He gets launched back onto the roof of the drug store, landing on his feet.

"Wow." I say quietly.

"Ya see? Easy as making tea." He says with a reassuring smile, his hands on his hips. I smile back and begin practicing it.