8. The First Day

Sorry if these are all really short btw

Lucas's PoV

I don't know how I'm going to do. I've never fought anybody other than Ness before. I sit on my bed, studying my schedule as if my life depends on it. My first battle is at 10:00 AM with Link at Jungle Japes, my second is at 1:20 PM with Kirby at Pokemon Stadium and my final battle is at 5:30 PM with Pikachu at Mario Circuit.

Who even are these people? And where are the places I'm going? Before I can do anything, Ness rips the schedule from my hands and gives his to me.

"Oh, cool, our times don't overlap! That means we can watch each others battles." Ness says enthusiastically. I smile at him and nod. Realising I probably don't know what's happening, he begins explaining.

"Okay, so." He stands and moves in front of me. "You see the times you have? They're the times you're battling. Eventually, after a week or so, the times change due to the lack of participants. If you lose 10 battles, you're out of the tournament. Another tournament starts up after about a month and it goes on again. There's normally like five tournaments with each new Smash, but sometimes there's more or less."

I lay down, processing all of the information.

"10 losses, five tournaments, times change, got it." I say, repeating the words in my head a few times. Ness smiles and gathers his belongings.

"My battle is one of the first battles of the day, almost just after breakfast. Promise me you'll watch?" He explains.

"Of course I will." I smile at him. He's adorable, being so enthusiastic. Wait...

>Timeskip

Ness quickly grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the door, an excited smile glued to his face. He rushes us down to the cafeteria. We get our breakfast and sit down. I was attracted to all of the different food items on the menu. I settled with omelette. It's my favourite.

"Yeah, there's a lot of different kinds of people here and almost all of them eat different food. Some aren't even human." Ness explains after I ask him about the food.

I make a sound of intrigue and continue eating. Soon after eating, Ness takes me to the top floor, checking the time.

"Five minutes until my battle starts." He says, giving a nervous but excited smile. I give him a reassuring smile and pat him on the back.

"Don't worry, I think you'll do fine." I say to him.

"Thanks." He says, nodding.

I nod back and an announcement comes over the speaker.

"May Ness and Mario please make their way to Luigi's Mansion. I repeat, Ness and Mario, Luigi's Mansion." The voice booms.

"That's my cue." Ness says, leaving me to look at a screen with the whole roster of characters. After about twenty seconds, Mario comes sprinting down the hallway and places his hand on the computer against the wall, paying little attention to me. He shows up as "Player 2" beside Ness's face. I smile.

It stays on the screen for a few minutes, waiting for everyone to gather at the multiple screens stationed around the Mansion.

Without warning, the battle starts. Ness appears, shaking soot off of him while Mario jumps out of a pipe.

"3... 2... 1..."