Three

I giggle for about the billionth time tonight at yet another stupid joke some rich bachelor said. Gracelyn made sure I had more than enough company before dancing with Prince Nicolaus. Yet, while she seems to be having the time of her life, I'm dreading mine.

"Would you like to dance Miss Jameston?" A voice asks. Looking for a way out of the group of confining men I nod. Every few minutes I swear the lot of them got a foot closer to me.

The same handsome prince from earlier this evening nudges his way through men to take my hand and lead me to middle of the floor. Shock once again takes away my voice as the Prince holds me close to his muscled chest.

"You looked like you needed an escape." Prince Hunter explains my unasked question. Strike one. I cannot believe that he does not want to dance with me for me! An unexplainable anger sparks in the pit of my stomach.

"Thank you." I say with as much confidence as I can muster, his hand gripping my waist is very distracting. Every touch from him launches giddiness throughout my body.

"It is the least I can do for someone who so graciously assisted my sister when she was in need." He mutters softly. I smile and look up into his sea, blue, eyes. I wish I had a sibling that cared about me in such a way.

"You really do care about her don't you, Your Highness? And it was no trouble at all, your sister is very kind." I reply honestly while taking step after step with Prince Hunter. This dance was one of the more complicated ones I've learned, yet I still manage with upmost grace.

"She is my little sister. Do you not care for yours the same?" As soon as the words escape his mouth, I frown. Strike two. Another spark of irritation settles within me. The sibling situation was always a difficult one for me. I wanted nothing more than a friend forever who I could lookout for. Unfortunately tension grew between my parents and neither wants to communicate with the other unless necessary.

"I have none." I mumble, my tone irritated. Embarrassment shines in Prince Hunter's eyes as he realizes his mistake.

"I am sorry to have upset you in any way." He says robotically. Strike three. I am relatively positive that the sparks have started a flame. His whole demeanor is so rehearsed it's nauseating! I am sure mine must be from time to time but every sentence he spits out of his mouth is memorized etiquette.

"If you remain speaking so formally to me, you might as well not speak at all." I snap, the spark now a bright, burning, flame, fueling my fury. To my great joy, Prince Hunter decides to shut his mouth. We finish our dance in peace but as soon as we escape to the crowds my witch of a mother finds us.

"Goody! Just who I wanted to see. Your Highness, I am Lady Jameston and I see you have met my daughter, Corrine. It is so wonderful that you to are together because I just finished talking to Queen Georgia and she agreed to have you in His Highness' Selection." Both Prince Hunter and I stand still. I do not want to deal with this man more then I must and yet Mother has decided to sign me up for his love contest? What is this cruel world? Do you have a vendetta against me?

"But Mother, the Selection is supposed to be a random picking." I argue in the most polite way possible. Wrinkling her nose at me, she just laughs in my face. A distasteful sent of alcohol reeks in her breath.

"Darling, the Selection is never a lottery! This is the future Queen he must find, not some homeless girl on the streets. Both the Queen and I agreed that with some better training, you could have the demeanor of royalty." That was the nicest thing Mother has ever said to me, and here it is only to back herself up.

"Lady Jameston is true, Miss Jameston. My parents have been picking out girls for days now, ever since we got the applications in, we have been constantly looking for a suitable bride." Prince Hunter adds on before I can counter Mother's argument. This is unbelievable!

"So what now? Am I your mistress? Do you think you can just beckon me whenever you want a little fun?" The words sound like poison on my lips. I have no idea if the rules apply to royalty but, citizens must remain a virgin until marriage. I have not even properly kissed a boy let alone slept with one. And I will most certainly not let Prince Hunter take that away from me.

"Of course not! How dare you accuse me of such things. Unlike past Kings, I like to follow the laws I enforce. No good would come if you had a hypocrite for a ruler." The prince stands tall with a fiery burn in his icy blue eyes. I like him better this way. He may be angry but at least he's not unemotional.

"Fine then. I suppose I'll be back when I am taken away from my home to live with you for a few months." With that as my final word, I pivot and walk towards the balcony.

The air chills me to the bone. February in Angeles is not as severe as Whites but it is still cold. I take in a deep breath of air and settle my arms against the stone wall which is still slightly damp from the freezing rain that fell last night.

"I am very sorry my dear." I jump in surprise which turns out to only make me slide and fall flat on my bottom for the second time this evening.

"Oh my goodness! Are you alright? I had no idea that I would frighten you." To startle me even more, Queen Georgia helps me up. Why on earth was she apologizing to me?

"I-uh, I am well, er... thank you, Your Majesty." I stutter not really knowing what to say to The Queen.

"Well, good. I wanted to make sure that you are alright. Your Mother seemed so nice so I of course would love for you to join my son's Selection. I just had no clue that you would react this way. My people skills nowadays are subpar. All these years cooped up in a palace changes you, you know? Cole just wants me to be safe but I cannot stand it here anymore!" She turns to me, expecting me to nod along but I just stand frozen. I really need to work on getting used to the royal family.

"Sorry, my rants are confusing" Queen Georgia laughs before continuing, "What I came out here to say was that if you do not want to be apart of the Selection, just tell me so."

"My Queen, I deeply apologize for how I behaved earlier. Joining the Selection is the deepest honor a girl like me could have been bestowed with. I will except but I refuse to be anyone's mistress." I state proudly, hoping she will not have my head for my last sentence.

"Oh, and you won't dear. Lord knows what will happen to Hunter if he does that to any lady. I appreciate your acceptance and I am thrilled to have you come to my home." She smiles beautifully before walking back into the busy room.

Well, I suppose I am in the next Selection. Yay.

Thank you all for reading! Please continue voting and commenting! Tell me how you like this version so far!

Thanks❤️