Twenty-nine

I adjust my gown as the photographers leave. The other Elite and I just finished up our Halloween dress selection photo shoot with Hunter, leaving me sweaty and tired. I straighten up my dress, slightly skewed to the right and sigh deeply. It hit me suddenly. If I don't win this, I am truly alone.

I let everyone leave the large space and follow behind, still with the group, but far enough away that if I slip into a window nook, no one would notice. So that's exactly what I do. I stare out at the green fields and contemplate my realization. If I lose, I have no home. I can't go back to Mother after finally standing up to her abuse. And Father would never leave her. I don't understand why, but I think he's too attached to the young, lovely woman Mother was and can't see the cruelty she wields now. If Jasmine quits, she'll never get another job. I could stay with London maybe... but she's so entranced with Zac; I recently saw a picture of the pair on a beach in a magazine. I can't rely on Bianca, she could easily win this. And as wonderful of a best friend as Gracelyn is, it would be terrible to stay here with Hunter and his soon to be wife. I wouldn't be able to bare it. I love him.

My heart beats quicken and it's weird to admit it. I already confessed that I was falling for him, but being in love... it's more.

"Corrine?" A tiny voice asks. Raymie rushes over, noting my silver lining eyes.

"Hello." I reply meepishly, as I brush away the forming tears.

"What's going on? Do you want to talk about it?" She questioned, grasping my hands.

"No." I reply quickly and she looks taken aback. She folds her hands in her lap and she sits in a more proper manner. Guilt rings through me as I realize that I brushed aside her kindness. "Well, I was just thinking about the future. The different paths and all. There's only one that I particularly love and it seems that every other girl here does too. If someone other than me travels down that path, I am lost. I have no home, no family, no friends other than you all, and you all have loved ones to see." I can't help the flow of tears now.

"Oh, Corinne, I'm here for you. If this doesn't..." she stops talking and I stop listening to her as loud bells sound.

We both look at each other in question, brows furrowing. It seems that the annoyingly loud bell is the least of our concerns as a rock smashes through the nearest window down the hall. Raymie let's put a cry as a man plunges through. I yank her arm and run in the other direction, looking for anywhere to hide.

I notice a small closet and I rip the door open, shoving Raymie inside. She tries to pull me in, but the tiny linen closet only fits one. She might have said something, but the pounding in my ears and the flash of color of a rebel's clothes as he turns the corner makes me shut the door, hiding her. I sprint to find something... anything, to slow my enemies, but this deserted hallway only is a home to paintings and the occasional flower vase that is too large for me to move.

Another window shatters and glass shards cut my skins, some stick and droplets of blood form. I cry out in pain and try to scramble away. A large hand yanks on my arm and just the smell of liquor has me knowing that I am in the arms of Manny, the drunken beast that whacked me with a frying pan. Fear drills into me as I try to wiggle out of his grip.

"Help me boys! I found her!" Manny shouted to the other men who snuck into the Palace.

I lift up my heel with all the force I can muster and kick Manny where the sun don't shine. His hold on me loosens and I fall back into the glass shards. My hands sting but I try to ignore it as I race to the nearest door.

The sight inside the room is worse than back out in the hall.

Victor, the leader of the rebel group, holds Megan to his chest with a knife along her throat with one hand and in the other is a gun pointed at Hunter, who lies, panting against the wall. All eyes turn to me as I try to reach for a lamp.