Five

"Corrine could you come here for a moment?" Mother asks in her sugar coated voice. At times like these, I must assume that someone important is here and be on my absolute best behavior. It's extremely tiring to act like the perfect daughter for my all too wretched Mother. I suppose I could be in worse conditions, begging on the streets would be much more difficult than dealing with a sharp tongue and quick smack.

I hurry down the dark, wooden steps, cautious to not keep her waiting. Only once did I make the mistake of going slowly and she almost threw me in the cellar for the night. Does she not have the best maternal instincts?

"Yes Mother?" I question politely.

As I step into the front parlor, a plump woman sits on the couch in expensive business wear. I almost thought it was one of Mother's friends when I spot the royal crest embroidered on her cardigan.

"Ah, Miss Jameston! Lovely to meet you darling, now take a seat would you?" I do as she says with grace. "I am Dolly Jenkins, etiquette teacher for the royal family. Most girls will be receiving lower leveled workers, but for the more respectable girls, I come over to inform you about the rules." My eyebrows almost shoot up as she says respectable. Were others not? Those who are poorer should never be treated differently. Suddenly, a bad taste settles in my mouth, and it is not from the tea I was having earlier.

"Lovey to meet you as well Miss Jenkins." I muster with a friendly smile as she pulls out a relatively large document from her pink purse.

"Now, I just want to go over these quick rules which I am positive you do not need a refresher on, it just that the law requires it. All acceptable ladies like yourself know not to do such things." Miss Jenkins mutters all too quickly, "Anyway, there must be no physical fighting or sabotage to other girls. You must end all romantic relationships that you have with anyone. There is to be no cheating on the Prince or drastic punishments will be taken. Obviously you are too well behaved to have slept with any man yet. We only have to ask that question to the lower classed girls. Oh, the Prince gets what he wants, if you know what I mean." Miss Jenkins laughs horrendously and my mouth practically gapes. This woman is the absolute worst! She obviously prays that the castes return if she treats poor people this way. And to think she just assumes that I would enjoy throwing myself at the Prince!

"Um...yes. Is there anything else Miss Jenkins?" I stutter. Mother may just have my head for my lack of respect to her previous statement but I don't care at the moment. This woman deserves no respect.

"Yes Miss Jameston, I just need you to sign on this dotted line." She hands me the paper and her pearly pen. Swiftly, I sign my name.

"Thank you for coming here today Miss Jenkins." I head towards our grand front doors with speed, hoping that Miss Jenkins takes my hint. I pray that other high staff members at the palace do not act as childish as her. I am unable to even fathom the idea of everyone acting in such a manner for my stay there.

"No, thank you dear! I look forward to seeing you soon! You will drive in on Wednesday of next week and you must wear the assigned clothing. Give a speech in town square if you want before your takeoff, just remember the more publicity, the better!" The plump woman waddles off into a sleek black car after finishing the instructions. I stand still by the door with a fake smile plastered on my face as she drives off.

Letting out a sigh of relief after her car leaves the drive, I turn to Mother. Examining her content expression, I decide to take the leap and ask her a question.

"Mother may I take a stroll?" In all honesty, I am not going to take a simple walk in the woods. I plan on sneaking goods to the slums beyond the tree line. I usually do this with Father but while he is in New Asia for businesses, I am left to visit them all on my own.

"Are you joking Corrine?" She scoffs. A manicured hand draped across her chest as if she heard something completely vile.

"No, it is a lovey afternoon and I was hoping..." I am cut off before I can say any more.

"You silly, little, brat! You have been Selected, there is absolutely no way you are leaving this house unsupervised. For all we know, some bandit could kidnap you and hold you for ransom! Now be grateful for what you have been given. I would have killed for an opportunity like you have." Her brown eyes, the eyes I have, look down upon me in distaste. My stomach drops. Some families rely on the food and clothes I bring to get them through the week, what will happen if I can no longer can come?

"Alright Mother. Can I at least take Storm out for a bit? Certainly no bandit can catch me on her." I ask, my voice quiet. Storm was a winning racehorse, Mother knows that for a fact. The reason she ended racing was because she became pregnant with a lovely foal. Breeze is Storm's foal turned mare, that now competes in multiple races, taking after her mother.

"You have one hour. And do not dare to be a second late!" Her tone is sharp and she raises her hand as to slap me as a warning but decides to put it back by her side. Giving me a once over she pivots on her feet and goes back to her sitting room.

~~~~

"Thank you Miss!" The twin boys run away with the loaf of bread I handed to them. I know a few people here but not all, the twins are occasional visitors, only coming once every month or so.

"Bye boys!" I call back to them as they round the corner.

"Ma'm, can I have some food?" An all but too joyful voice hums in my ear. I turn to face them when all I come across with is Prince Hunter.

"Now what is a palace boy like yourself doing out here?" I ask smugly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I could ask the same thing about you M'lady. Shouldn't you be learning the art of needle point or something?" He retorts.

"Please, I mastered that when I was five. To put all matters aside, Your Highness, why are you here?" I brush a strand of hair behind my ear and the Prince's eyes follow my every move like he is in some sort of trance. With a small cough, he looks back into my eyes.

"Miss Jameston I am here to I formally apologize for my actions on the night of the ball. I am deeply sorry if I offended you throughout the course of the evening. Also, as soon as you come to the palace, Gracelyn request tea with you. It seems she adores you more than I." What? Should I be offended or was he indirectly saying that he adores me a bit?

"Well I accept Gracelyn's invitation. We have much to catch up on." I nod my head simply as to say, 'move along' but Hunter's jaw goes slack.

"An-and... what...um, about my apology?" He stammers slightly. I smile inwardly as his ears grow pink.

"Well, since I must pine over you for the next few months I guess... I accept."

Hello my lovelies! How are you all doing? I am so sorry that my updates are a little slow lately! I promise to improve! Corrine's house is above (credit to The Breakers). Please vote and comment!

Thank you😊