Twenty

I sigh as I twirl another strand of hay around my finger. It's almost ten minutes after Hunter said we would meet here and I'm getting nervous that he isn't going to show up.

I step outside of the barn to glance up at the sky, Clover warned me that the weather wasn't going to be nice today, I should have listened. Hunter's probably forbidden for leaving the palace in a rainstorm. It could ruin his royal hair - or at least that's what Miss Jenkins would say.

Dark clouds build up and a harsh breeze blows by, stinging my cheeks. Tugging my coat closer, I wonder back inside the barn.

"Corrine!" A husky voice calls.

I whip my head around to see that he didn't come alone. Storm trots alongside him in all of her regal poise. She whinnies as she sees me and I can't help but let loose the joyful tears that have been building up.

I rush to her side and throw my arms around her. She neighs softly before nestling her neck around me, almost like a hug if an animal could give one.

"I've missed you!" I sob while wiping streaks of tears off my face.

"And me too?" Hunter asks playfully, coming into view from staying behind the horse.

"Yes, you too." I giggle and kiss his cheek.

"So, I am terribly sorry that our date is now in ruins. I never really thought about the weather when making our plans. But I was hoping my surprise would make up for that." He smirks while stroking Storm's back.

"No, no! Everything is perfect. I couldn't dream of anything better. How on earth did you get her here?" I question in astonishment. Mother is particularly strange about horses. She despises them and thinks that my love for Storm is a vile and improper deed for a young lady.

"I phoned up your father and asked if I could bring her here." He grins like a madman but my mouth drops.

"My father? He's home?" I gasp. He's been on a business trip for what seems like forever, I have had no idea as to when he'd be returning. I'm just so grateful he's home so soon.

"He is. And as a wonderful way to celebrate, I was thinking of having the families of the Selected come for a spring ball. They usually visit during the elite, but I wanted your father to come and he mentioned that he will have to leave within the next month for more trade embargoes." A beaming smile corrupts my face.

My heart thuds repeatedly in my chest. How is it that a simple slip down the stairs could lead me to a man who is so completely perfect. If the girl that fell, heard me say this in my head now, she would have smacked me silly and called be a drooling bimbo. But I don't care. I'm with a man who makes me unbelievably happy. An electric urge rushes through my veins and I wrap my arms around his neck and bring my lips to his.

Hunter widens his eyes for a moment - startled from my sudden movements - but then relaxes into the kiss. He cups my cheek, deepening it, making me swoon.

I walk my fingers from his neck to he short, curly, blond hair. They twist into his locks as the kiss lengthens. I loose all thoughts of the outside world; it's just Hunter and me, lost in a world of romance.

Giddiness and desire bubble in my stomach as we walk as one to the barn wall. He lifts me up off the ground causing me to wrap my legs around his waist - the wall supporting my back. Our kisses turn frantic, as if we haven't kissed in ages.

In lack of oxygen, the hungry kisses grow slow and we gasp for air in between each sweet and soft press of our lips.

"I needed that." I giggle in a seductive whisper/talk-like voice.