Seventeen

I frown deeply in my deep purple gown. It's not that I'm disappointed in Claire's work, I'm just still upset about Hunter this morning. I haven't spoken to him since the fight, but even if he wanted to see me, he couldn't; I've solemnly secluded myself in my room all day. But sadly, I'm forced to exit my chambers. For this evening is the Report.

To my utter joy, I don't have to speak yet; the one-on-ones come next week. I just have to sit, smile, and look pretty. All things that I have too much experience in.

"Miss, is there something wrong?" Sarah voices the question I know Clover and Claire have been wondering all day.

"Boy troubles." I mutter with a bitter laugh.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Clover asks but Claire nudges her shoulder. She must have violated a code for maids.

"No, it's good." I mention to Claire. "Hunter practically loves Amelia. She's the mean red-head. I tried to tell him what she's really like but he decided to think that I was just jealous and a liar. I honestly can't believe that he doesn't trust me. "

"It's not that he doesn't trust you. Maybe it's just not enough yet." Claire tries to shed wisdom but I shove it to the back of my mind. Is it so bad to just want to rant?

"But that skank-bag?" Clover grumbles making me chuckle slightly.

"Exactly! What does he see in her? She's a bully! Did you know that she got a girl named Maddy kicked out?" I huff.

"She's a rotten person. There's no doubt about that. But you must remember that everyone has a past and we do not know all of it. We mustn't judge too harshly, we don't know what she's been put through." Sarah explains, her small hands wound tightly together.

"I suppose. I just wish that she didn't have to ruin other peoples chances." I sigh, placing my hands on my hips.

"Then it's settled. Sit tall, look your best, be regal. Maybe that will change that Prince's mind." Claire nods me off as I cautiously step into the hall.

I find my way to the filming room with few troubles. But the view I'm come to see is not a pleasant one. Amelia stands arm in arm with Hunter and is talking to the King. They might as well already be walking down the aisle.

"You alright there?" London asks while coming to stand beside me.

"Not as long as that scheming skank stands arm in arm with him." I growl through my teeth.

"Calm down hon, the more time he spends with her, the sooner he realizes that she's as rotten as expired milk." She walks over to the seats and sits down, motioning to the chair next to her.

I follow with a frown and find myself tucked gloomily in my chair.

"You shouldn't act so rude." The statement shocks me - especially because it came from the mouth of Aurora. "You were acting this buddy buddy with the Prince the entire week. Be glad that other girls aren't tearing you shreds right now."

Her words hit me hard but I attempt to keep a straight face. I can't let this affect me.

"Aurora! Whose side are you on?" London gapes beside me, staring furiously at her best friend coming into the Selection.

"The side of justice." The words slip past me but her tone catches me by surprise. Did she actually mean justice? And justice against what?

London sits back in her seat roughly and glares at a wall across the room. I feel completely sorry for her because she and Aurora came into the Selection not knowing anyone, and instantly became the best of friends. And now? Now Aurora dismisses her friendship with all of us.