Succor - Link x Reader

You took a deep inhalation, calming your heartbeat for several seconds. Your eyes drifted close; your fingers circled the fabric grip wound around your deep sepia bow, another finger testing the string. You stood like this for several moments before your breath sucked itself in suddenly, your arms snapping up from your sides in perfect form.

You took swift aim and released the bowstring, watching your arrow arch toward a small bale of hay.

A growl left your lips even before it punctured the hastily painted target, your arms flopping at your sides. You spun in a circle and refused to look at your work.

"A little bit to the left," a soothing voice called, though you ignored it entirely. You spun on your heels with a set look in your eyes, drawing another arrow from your quiver.

Ignoring the silhouette watching from the shade of forestry, you quickly drew your bow again and breathed slowly, releasing the arrow on your exhale.

It hit dead on the center, and with that you grinned in satisfaction, allowing yourself to seek acceptance in the glimmering blue eyes of your company.

Link smiled gently at you in return, making your chest and face warm. He gave a kick to heave himself off a large stack of hay, patting Epona's thigh affectionately on his way to your side. She nickered tentatively and clomped after him, head hung low as she sniffed curiously at a spray of startled grasshoppers.

Once he reached you, his head swiveled to inspect your job well done. Your insides squirmed at the impressed quirk of his eyebrows, glancing at you sidelong before going to retrieve your arrow.

"Not bad, (Name). Patience has treated you well."

You laughed airily and petted Epona's cheek as she approached you, snorting and digging her hoof into the ground. "Right you are. Thanks for the guidance, savior of Hyrule."

Link snapped his head around to offer a halfhearted glare as he worked out the sharp head of the arrow, his body tensing before yanking it out altogether. You admired the hint of muscle outlet through his cream undershirt, tunic and hat discarded on a nearby tree.

His lack of a response only goaded you on when he grunted and stalked toward you, your prized arrow snug in the swordsman's grasp.

"Speaking of Hyrule, how's the princess doing? Heard she hasn't been faring too well after your departure; you must've left quite the impression on her."

You hadn't meant for your dormant jealously to resurface in your one-sided banter, immediately regretting it when Link's deep blue eyes cooled significantly.

Link stopped before you and offhandedly cleaned debris from your arrow, though you recognized the tension between his eyebrows.

"What does she have to do with anything?" He kept his voice carefully neutral. You silently rejoiced at his nonchalant reply, but pressed on to completely tread the waters between you two.

"I don't know, you just came back recently from your adventures away from here. And when I visited you at the castle she seemed... eager in your presence." You looked away when Epona earnestly nudged your stomach, petting her snout. You were shocked out of your rhythmic strokes when Link firmly gripped your wrist, pulling you toward him.

"Do you not have faith in me?" You flushed at the softness of his voice and his proximity, avoiding eye contact altogether when he lined your body against his.

"It isn't that I don't, but that you were surrounded by woman enraptured by your skill and heroism... How could I not be worried?"

Link's fingers brushed under your chin to tilt your face up, furthering the reddish tint cradling your features. He gazed at you lovingly, and it only magnified your mortification for your concernment.

"Because I am in love with you." He pushed your hair from your face to enrapture you entirely, making your eyes clear as he leaned closer. A small smile upturned your mouth right before he kissed you, a slow, pensive entwinement that disabled your senses. He pulled away only to leave a scant distance, his forehead touching yours.

"There is no one else in this world that could ever replace you."