Fatherhood and Distress, part two

Hey guys! So as I said in the last chapters author's note, these chapters should hopefully be pretty exciting. Idk if that gives away what it's all about but I hope not... Please enjoy

- Z

•••
JOSH'S POV

She's stressed about you being stressed. But you can't be weak. Stay strong for her. You think she's going to want you if you just have a hissy fit when she's having a baby. How bout you have a human squeezed out of you. No? I didn't think so. Now go other there and do not let her see how stressed you really are!

Sometimes, a lot of the time really, it would be nice if the voice inside my head could shut up. But no. I hate to say it, but I think the voice is right. I want her to be happy, yet she apparently is spending all this time worrying about me, me.

She's been sleeping a lot, but that's nothing new. She still makes me give her foot rubs. She still craves Dino nuggets and Froot Loops. And that's good, because that's normal. If things are the same I have nothing to worry about, right?

Keon and Stephanie have been here lots over the past few days. Keon slept here last night, but is out buying her more scrambled eggs and bacon, because she can't seem to get enough of that, either. Although it's very frustrating when half the stuff in the room smells putrid to her, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it for now.

I shouldn't have to deal with it much longer though, seeing as it's the twenty fourth. I have yet to tell her that she's three days past her due date. It would stress her out even more and I've been given very strict instructions by Dr Jarley, to keep her stress levels as low as possible.And considering how stressed I am knowing that it's three days past her due date, I know she will freak out.

I walk out of the en sweet bathroom to the hospital room and hear frantic and high pitched beeping. Keon rushes in with five people and Tupperware full of Stephanie's eggs and bacon. I recognize two of the people as Nurse Danielle and Dr Jarley, but the rest are unknown.
"What's going on?!?" I ask Keon

"I don't know! I just walked in here and heard the beeping, so I got the nurses."

A short blonde woman in minty green-blue scrubs starts talking to Keon, Adira, and I.

"The babies are in distress. We have to do an emergency Caesarean section!"

No, no, no, no, no! This cannot be happening.Keon and I rush to her side, each of us holding one of her hands.

The same woman begins to speak again, "We need to move her. Unfortunately, only one of you can come with is. Would the father like to come or...?"

She's obviously not sure who she should be talking to. Keon and I look at each other, not sure what to do, and then Keon starts to talk.

"You're technically the father, go. Really! Go!"

"Thank you so much Keon!"

I have to yell as we're being rushed out of the room. After what seems like forever, we finally get to the correct room. Once we're in, they give Adira an epidural.

"Sir, you need to change into scrubs"

"Josh!"

"Hey, relax, I will be right back, okay"

Reluctantly, I let go of her hand and go into a different room to change. Before I know it, she's almost done it. She is covered in sweat and exhausted, but I'm so proud of her.

"Hey, baby, how you doing?"

"Good, fine, okay. I want to sleep though." She yawns loudly and then a contraction comes and she squeezes my hand so hard I think it might break, but what's important is that she's okay. I can't even convey how proud I am of her.

"I'm so proud of you, baby, hang in there, okay? It's almost over, just a little bit longer. I'm so, so proud of you, you know that? I love you so much!"

"Oh Josh, always so sappy." She gives a weak laugh, "I love you too, I always will"

A tall male doctor begins reassuring her too, "you're doing real good, adira, you're almost done"

It's like time is going in slow motion and passing by in the blink of an eye

"First baby's out. It's a girl!"

"See, Josh, I told you that at least one was going to be a girl"

"Yeah, yeah you did"

"Second baby. It's a boy!"

"Mr. Feauxgard, please come over and cut the cord"

Cutting the cord never seemed that important to me until now. When I was young, before the plague had hit, I knew I wanted a wife and kids, but it was always kind of vague. Now I'm an actual friggin father. That wasn't the only surprise though.

I cried.

Lol

Yep, and, unlike normal, I'm not even ashamed. I now have a beautiful baby girl and an amazing little boy. I have my whole family (minus Keon) with me and it's one of the, if not the greatest feeling in the world.

True love. That's what this is. True love

Once Adira is well and resting, Keon and I walk to the nursery.

"Keon meet

•••

Hey guys, cliffhanger, I'd like to think so. I guess not but, you'll have to wait till the next update to fine out the names, although I'm very excited so I should be updating pretty soon... hope you enjoyed the chapter and please PLEASE comment on what you liked and what you didn't. Thanks 🖤

- Z