Chapter 2

When they reached the Alpha's house, the lights were on in the upstairs rooms.

Since he knew that the Alpha would be busy, Leo didn't bother knocking.

Leo had been friends with Milo ever since they were little kids. When Milo's grandfather died three years ago, Milo had been made Alpha at only seventeen. His father had been too ill to successfully lead the pack and, since Milo was so close to the age of taking his mate, it was deemed for the best. But for all that Milo felt his mate close by, he hadn't found her yet and he was running out of time. If he didn't find her by midnight, on the day of his twentieth birthday, the council had every right to choose a mate for him.

As Alpha, he would do his duty and go through with it. But as Milo, he would hate going through his life with a mate that wasn't of his own choosing. He would always wonder if his real mate was out there somewhere, pining for him. Never knowing that he was already taken, but knowing they couldn't be together.

As Beta, Leo had the freedom of the Alpha's house, so he walked right in and led Katarina in the front door. She was so amazed at the sheer scale of the inside of the house, with its fancy wallpaper and its plush carpets and expensive art work, that she was speechless. The staircase was sweeping; it started off wide at the bottom and tapered as it went up to the upstairs hallway.

"Upstairs." The Beta explained, gesturing towards the stairs. He stalled to take off his jacket.

Katarina stopped at the top of the stairs to wait for him.

"This way." He led the way towards a room at the end of the corridor, where a light was on and there was the sound of many voices chattering behind the closed door. There was a pacing figure, hovering outside. "Alpha,"

Milo turned when Leo called on him.

"The girl is here." Leo gestured to Katarina, who bowed her head in respect.

"About time." The Alpha sighed and grabbed Katarina gruffly by the arm. He led her to the door, knocked once and opened it. He pushed her inside and shut the door.

"You're not going in?" The Beta asked nervously.

Milo shook his head and ran his hand through his hair. "They want to speak to her first." He explained, nodding his head to the door. "There's something funny going on and I'm not sure what they're planning, but I don't like it." He grumbled.

The Beta tried not to laugh, but it was difficult. He had known Milo his whole life, so he knew fine well that what he really wanted was to lead his pack into the future successfully, without being told what to do or think.

Mostly, he wanted to choose his own mate. Especially since he could feel her close by so often. But even that didn't go smoothly. Sometimes it was as if she was in their community and sometimes it felt like she was far away. It didn't make any sense.

"Alpha...is she going to be your mate?" The Beta asked what he knew was on both their minds. For a moment he looked hesitant to answer and raked his hand through his hair again. "The girl...she says she's unworthy. That you deserve better. I think...I think if she has a choice, she'll refuse you." He confessed with a faint smile.

Milo watched him curiously for a minute and contemplated that news. "To be honest Leo, I'm not sure she can. I don't even know if that's why they're talking to her." He said, looking worried.

Leo wasn't sure what the council wanted either. They had shown up that morning and demanded to talk to Milo. When he had gone inside, to face the five council members, he had simply been told that he was taking too long to find his mate and he was to have Katarina Torlov summoned to speak with them.

Milo had asked why, he had asked what she was needed for and what his life had to do with her. But he hadn't gotten any answers. No-one had told him anything. Leo could see that it grated on his nerves.

"I have a feeling that if I'm not mated by the end of this coming week, I won't have any choice in who becomes my mate. Even if my real mate is still out there." He confessed.

Leo could see how scared Milo was, that everything would be ruined if he took the wrong mate. Even if she was forced on him by the council. And Katarina? Why had she been chosen? She was useless. Neither of them could make sense of it.

"But...she's a runt. She's...pathetic." The Beta protested.

Milo smiled a little and nodded his agreement. He didn't disagree at all. But he had no choice. The council were older than him and they had always held more power than the Alpha. The council of Elders were all previous Alpha's from the local packs. He had to obey them.