Chapter 9

Milo woke early and suddenly remembered that he had forgotten something the night before. He hadn't spoken to Grene about courting his daughter.

As Alpha, he didn't have to explain himself, but Constantine had told him to. So instead of spending an hour in the gym, to keep himself fit, he showered, dressed quickly and ran down into the kitchen.

Leo looked confused as he looked up from his bowl of cereal and his glass of milk. "Is something wrong, Alpha?" He asked, worried.

Milo shook his head, drank some orange juice straight from the carton and grabbed a biscuit from the tin.

"I can't stop. I forgot to talk to Grene last night. It may take the whole hour before school, so I may as well walk Katarina there." He explained as he chomped on his biscuit.

Leo made a move to push his bowl away, but before he could, Milo caught his hand.

"No. I will take one of the guards. Finish breakfast and meet me at the Torlov house. We'll all walk to school together." He smiled with his offer and left, ruffling Leo's hair as he went.

Leo frowned and Milo laughed at the confused, undecided look on his face. His Beta was considering whether to disobey him or not. But in the end, he never did. Milo loved him like a brother for that. No matter what happened, his Beta was loyal to the end.

Milo asked a guard to follow him and jogged down the street to the Torlov house, figuring he would at least get some form of work out in before school. Then he remembered that he was supposed to be training with Katarina after school. That would make up for it too.

When he got there, he wasn't even sweating so he didn't bother worrying about his appearance as he knocked on the front door and waited.

The door opened and Josanna stood there smiling at something. That smile fell when she saw him there.

"Milo...I mean, Alpha. What are you doing here?" She asked in shock.

Milo smiled. He and Josanna were occasional friends, in which they passed each other and said a pleasant hello in the hallways. Unlike he and Katarina, who had barely said more than a few words to each other their whole lives. Even then they had been in argument because of her weaknesses.

"I would like to speak with your father and walk you and your sister to school." He explained, suddenly realising that, for a moment, for some reason, he had forgotten all about Josanna until she opened the door. It unsettled him because he quite liked her. She at least made him smile.

"Then come in." Josanna grinned and invited him into the house, before closing the door. "Daddy, the Alpha is here to see you." She called through as she led him through to the kitchen.

Milo felt awkward; he had never been in this house before and yet his father, Oswine, and Grene had been close friends their whole lives. He had planned on making Grene his Beta before his illness. Now they were to be joined by a union into the one family.

Yet, Milo barely knew them.

Grene was standing in the kitchen, looking tired, as he used a blender to concoct a disgusting looking brown drink. "Alpha." He nodded, then gestured for him to take a seat.

Milo did, but he was painfully aware of Josanna staring at him. "I'm sorry I didn't stop in last night, Grene. After I walked Katarina home. I was afraid that it was too late already and that you would need time to process the events that had taken place." Milo tried to sound confident, but only managed to sound confused. That didn't surprise him.

Grene had saved his fathers life, before the illness took hold of him, yet he never visited his sick father. And his father never said a bad word about it. But all the anger and betrayal his father didn't feel...Milo felt it. He felt it for his father and his mother who had become his nurse maid.