Chapter 24: The Vision - Part 1

Instead of training that night, with Leo and Josanna as planned, Milo called off all training and took Katarina back to his house for an hour. They wanted to get some time alone and he used the excuse of his shoddy maths homework to get what he wanted.

Katarina stayed to help him with his homework, but as they watched another film together, she realize what had happened. "I think I should go home now." She said.

"You don't have to." Milo protested. "At least stay for dinner." He shrugged, searching for any possible excuse to make her stay.

Katarina smiled. "Thank you Milo, but no. I shouldn't have stayed this long. It's...it's given you ideas and..." She trailed off before stopping. "It's best for both of us, if I go home and tomorrow night, I'll leave." She decided to draw an end to the wonderful romance he was bringing to her life. It was too much and they both knew it couldn't last.

"You're still going to leave? You're just going to desert me?" Milo asked angrily. "I'm your Alpha. I forbid you to leave the pack." He snapped at her, surprising Leo who had just walked into his suite.

Katarina was calm and serene. "I always told you that I'd disobey you, Milo, if it was for your own good. So I don't care if you're giving me an order. Once I leave tomorrow night you won't be my Alpha anymore and I can't hurt you." She explained her case, giving him the explanation he deserved before walking across and kissing his cheek. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

A moment later, she left the room.

"Don't just stand there! Go after her!" Milo shouted at his Beta, behind her. "Make sure she gets home safe." He ordered in an unusually gruff manner.

She could hear Leo, as she hovered at the top of the stairs.

"Do you...want her?" Leo asked.

"Damn you, Leo." Milo growled.

Katarina took off, running down the stairs and out of the house.

Milo caught up with Katarina just outside his front door. "I'm walking you home." He announced, as if he would broker no argument.

She decided not to argue. To her surprise, he didn't walk her through town. He took her hand and led her the long way, through the woods. "Why are we going this way?" She wondered.

"If the storm starts up again, I don't want you turning in front of humans. I'd have to punish you for it." He grumbled to himself.

Katarina smiled at his concerned; he didn't want her getting hurt. She just wished she was good enough for him.

They walked through the woods together in silence. Out of nowhere, a group of four wolf-shifters advanced from among the trees. It was clear that their intentions were entirely cruel.

Milo moved from instinct, stepping in front of Katarina to protect her and making sure he was the first to attack. He managed to take them off guard, but he could only keep the attention of two shifters at one time. The other two were focused on getting to Katarina.

She tried to be brave and fight back, letting her survival instincts take over, but they were too strong. She couldn't fight against the two wolves who were twice her size, and there was no point shifting to her own wolf. It was even weaker than her human self was, in comparison to her attackers.

Milo grabbed one of the shifters attacking her and threw him to the ground in fury. His wolf was ferocious and gradually winning a victory. But even that wasn't enough. The fourth remaining shifter, free from Milo's reach, attacked Katarina with all his might. He stabbed her forearm with a claw, cut her wildly with teeth and claws. He managed to repeatedly kick her in the stomach as she was too winded to defend herself or move away.