Chapter 23

Milo lay on his bed, beside Katarina and watched her as she snuggled in for the night. Neither of them were going anywhere and she had finished two of her strengthening shakes already. Her voice was feeling better, but he didn't think it was best to push things too far too soon. So they lay there, sharing their thoughts with one another as they tried to figure out what was happening to her.

Little wolf, there's something important I have to say before we start. Milo started, brushing his fingers against hers as they held hands and stayed close to one another. I know you're scared of us being together, but we can't be apart now. You're my mate, Katie. My true mate. And I won't let you run away from me now that I know that.

Katarina sighed and turned her head on the pillow to look at him. Milo was already staring at her. I know. I've known you were my mate since I was about ten years old. I told my father and my grandfather. She confessed, with a worried glance. I swore that since you were going to be Alpha, I wouldn't stay in the pack to be with you.

I'm the reason you were going to run? Milo frowned, not sure how he felt about that. He was a little stunned to hear that she had known he was her true mate since she was ten. That was pretty young even for a shifter kid. Not to mention all the times she had told him to 'go find' his true mate.

Katarina smiled. I thought it was the only way to protect you. So that you wouldn't have a weak mate. So that you could be happy. I know better now. She promised. Do you want to know what I saw? She asked softly, reaching up to brush her fingers against his strong jaw.

Milo nodded. He had been curious for hours about what those images were and what they meant. I saw something. It was like we shared the vision at first, but I couldn't make sense of it. It was making me sick. I asked you to make it stop, to try to fight it and you shut me out. He didn't mean to sound mad, but it hurt to know that she had taken that connection away from him. It felt like he had lost her for good, to feel that connection fading and he had been useless ever since.

I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Katarina promised never to repeat that mistake.

Good. I know it made me sick, but I hate that you suffered alone. Milo didn't want to feel that separation again. That instant loss of sensation that he had never realised was her consciousness connected to his. He hated not being able to feel her, hovering there in the back of his mind.

Katarina thought about what had happened to her for a moment. It wasn't so bad. I never really felt anything. It was like an out-of-body thing. I knew it was happening, but I wasn't aware of my own body. Like my dreams, I guess. She smiled when Milo turned onto his side, beside her and cupped her face in his hand.

I need to know you accept me, Katie. As your true mate. Milo admitted to the one weakness he could allow himself, as Alpha. They had three days before the Elders arrived and asked them to unite. Although he knew that she was his true mate and she had just admitted that she knew they were true mates, it wasn't enough. True mates could refuse each other. Katarina could still run.

I do, Milo. I'm yours.

***

Once Katarina swore that she would stay and be with him, to be his mate and his wife, Milo could lie there and turn the conversation to more imminent matters. Katarina had been unconscious for nearly four and a half hours and even the doctor, who knew shifter illnesses and talents better than anyone else did, had no clue what was going on with her.

He had tried a bunch of stupid things to try to wake her up, giving her a good shake, kissing her fairytale style, begging, ordering it as the Alpha. Nothing had worked, so he had resorted to trying to keep her comfortable.

Milo, the first thing you need to know is why I'm so different. Katarina began, bringing a soft smile to his lips as he gently ran the pad of his finger over her cheek, quietly adoring her. But this...this was something she didn't need to explain.

Because you're not one of us, are you? I guessed as much.

She was surprised by that answer. Grene is not my father. I don't want to explain that story in case what I saw wasn't the whole truth. But I know that what I saw was our future. She revealed.

Was it good? He asked, hopefully.

No, Milo. And it's my fault.

Milo frowned at the rising panic he felt radiating from Katarina. He began a soothing touch, running his fingertip over her neck, trying to help her calm down. Whatever she'd seen hadn't happened yet and they would now do all they could to make sure it didn't happen. At least they were being prepared for things with her vision.

She was his little wolf. His sweet girl and she deserved to have someone who would listen to her fears and her visions, without judging her. And he was going to be that person.

He ran his thumb, lightly, across the base of her throat and noticed that she winced a little. Still sore? There's another drink in the fridge.

Without waiting for her answer, Milo got up and retreated to the mini fridge he kept in his suite living room. He returned to bed with the bottle of strengthening shake and helped her sit up so she could drink more easily.

How many did you make? Katarina wondered with a smile.

Four. Up here. There are another four mixed up downstairs. Milo confessed that he and Grene had worked together while she was unconscious to prepare ahead of time. They wanted to make sure that in the morning or during the night, there would be no rushing around to make the concoction when it was most needed. Grene had been thoughtful enough to head out for more ingredients just in case.

Go on with the story when you're ready. He urged, knowing that she hated being treated like she was delicate. So he gave her the chance to enjoy her drink and think her thoughts through, sharing her vision with him. He guessed that she had been out for so long because it had been pretty detailed and covering the course of more than just one event.

Milo sat up beside Katarina, lightly holding her as she sat with her back to him and her legs curled up against his. She felt...different...scared maybe. Like this vision had terrified her and she couldn't face keeping it to herself for a moment longer.

She was about to panic again. He brushed his thumb across her cheek in a caressing motion that made her smile. "Tell me, Katie. Tell me what you saw." He urged.

Finally, the details of the vision poured out of her.