Chapter 39

Leo blew on his coffee and tried not to cringe. He had cried into Katarina like a baby for God knew how long and now he had to face the consequences.

She had tried to press some sort of shake on him, but he preferred the familiarity of a coffee. She was treating him with great care, while Milo just stared, his eyes boring into him.

He wasn't sure what to do as he tried not to squirm. He had already recounted every moment of the day, from letting them out the front door, to crying on Katarina's shoulder.

The poor girl had cried silently while he told her of her fathers message and passed it off as if it meant nothing.

"Are you all right, little wolf?" Milo asked in concern.

"I've always known my father loved me, Milo. I trust his judgement in leaving me here with my mother and Grene. I always have." She confessed, quietly. "He knew that you would be here and that I needed to be close to you. I miss him, but I will never think badly of his decisions." She promised, reaching out to take his hand in hers, letting him know that she was all right.

Leo wished he could be as strong as her and accept things as easily. He still felt the burning hatred of Bricia's last look at him and he wanted to scrub himself clean of that feeling forever.

"It's not your fault. You did nothing wrong." She demanded he listen. "The stupid girl just thinks she knows everything there is to know. She thinks she knows me! And we've never met." Katarina assured him, as she padded her eyes cry with a Kleenex.

He smiled at the way she sounded so disapproving of her own sister. He had thought, just before the hatred hit him, that the girls would get on well together. Now he wasn't so sure. Was the Bricia who had kissed him just an illusion? A dream version of the girl he saw afterwards? Or was it an act she put on to ensnare men into her web?

"She's not a spider, Leo, and if you don't mind thinking a little quieter, I'd be grateful." She asked, with a faint smile. "It's hard enough thinking with one person's thoughts, never mind three." She protested, rubbing her temples.

Milo smiled at her and took over the gentle massage.

Katarina dropped her hands and fell into the touch mentally, letting it soothe her.

"Sorry, baby, but this is a big dilemma." He apologised, making Leo choke on his sip of coffee.

"Baby? Darling? What the hell happened out in the woods?" Leo asked in shock. He had been surprised enough when Katarina had first called Milo 'darling' and he had just smiled, as if it was a fond nickname he was used to. But Milo, his Alpha, calling any girl 'baby' was just plain weird.

"More than you want to know, Leo. I promise you that." Milo winked at him conspiratorially.

Katarina wasn't even listening, she just sat there while he rubbed her temples with ease, her eyes closed to the feeling.

Leo sighed and looked away. How was it so easy for them?

Because we trust each other. Katarina's voice sounded in his head.

Leo dropped his cup. He sat there, staring at her as she let a smile play on her lips, eyes still closed.

Milo and I know how we feel about one another...we refuse to let anyone get in the way of that. She said, looking adamant about that. Milo is used to playing the macho Alpha, so he's used to making sure what is his stays his. Me, I took a little longer to adjust.

Milo chuckled out loud at Katarina's words.

Leo watched them, gob smacked at the ease with which they moved and thought with one another. It flowed between them like an invisible tie.

Thank you, little wolf. You're going to give him a heart attack. He scolded her gently as he finished his massage of her temples and sat back in his seat.

Katarina sank into his arms while Leo struggled for words.

"You," he gasped.

Think it, Leo. Katarina encouraged him to join in the conversation. Think the words and send them to me. She instructed.

Leo thought about that for a moment and decided the day couldn't get any worse.

You're talking to me. Inside my head. He thought that saying it - or thinking it - might make it more real. And it worked. He saw her smile widen in congratulations and for the first time that day, Leo felt like he had accomplished something useful.

Yes. And Milo's linked in too, right?

Right. He agreed with a smile of his own. It's easy once you get used to it. I thought for a while that I couldn't reach out to Katie first, that she had to start it. But turns out, she was just ignoring me on purpose.

Milo's voice sounded amused to Leo, like there was laughter sitting just beneath the words. It made him smile, confused but feeling better already.

Not everyone can do it. Katarina warned him. I mean, Josanna and I don't do it and my dad doesn't. Well, Grene doesn't. I'm sure Carlton would. We already have a connection you see.

But we don't. Leo frowned when he tried to think about how he and Katarina could be connected.

Yes we do. I already told you that. She answered with an enigmatic smile that Milo shared.

Milo took over the explanation and watched as Leo shifted his gaze onto him. You're my Beta Leo, I trust you with my life. I'm connected to Katie, because she's my mate. You're connected to her because you're my best friend and practically my brother. He smiled and Leo began to wonder how often he had been in the room with them and they had talked this way.

Maybe brother-in-law, would be more accurate, darling? Katarina suggested with a glint in her eye that made Leo feel embarrassed.

He wasn't sure if she meant Josanna or Bricia and the very thought made him want to scream.

Hmm...maybe. Milo conceded with his own amusement.

"All right, quit the teasing. What are we going to do about this?" He wondered. "I assume you guys are going to help me, since you've just delved into my head?" Leo asked in exasperation. He watched curiously as Milo and Katarina shared a look, but he didn't hear anything in his head this time. He wasn't sure if the look said everything, or if they were just excluding him from the conversation.

"We're going to help." Milo announced suddenly, giving him a moment of relief.

The End of Book 1