Chapter 11

"What prophesy?" Milo didn't have a clue what Grene was talking about and it infuriated him. As Alpha, he was supposed to know all the secrets of the pack. If there was a prophesy being kept from him, he needed to know about it. But there, Grene went silent. "As your Alpha, I demand you tell me!" He shouted across the room.

"Daddy?" Katarina's voice caught Milo's attention and he swung his gaze to look at her. She had her hair tied up in a high ponytail and he couldn't see her bruises any more. The one cut from his tooth looked more like a nail scratch than anything else.

"Shut up!" He shouted at her, hoping her interruption wouldn't stop Grene from telling him about the mysterious prophesy. He turned back to Grene. "Tell me." He demanded.

"I refuse to say in front of my daughter." Grene stiffened and kept his eyes on Katarina, who now looked completely bewildered.

Milo didn't care. "Get out." He ordered. When she didn't move, but just turned to raise an eyebrow at him, he got mad. "Take your sister and get outside." He barked the order at her, stunned into silence when she answered him back.

"I thought you were supposed to be nice to me?" Katarina wondered curiously.

Instantly, Milo panicked. He knew what she was talking about, but it made him worry. Was his mind ever going to hold secrets again?

"Projecting, remember?" She gloated and looked over at her father. "Dad, is everything all right?"

Grene looked between Milo and Katarina for a moment. "Fine, sweetheart. I need to speak to the Alpha. Go wait outside with your sister." He asked gently.

Milo wasn't even paying attention to the fact that she did as she was told, grabbing her school bag and Josanna's before leaving the house. He was too busy worrying. She knew all about what had happened with the Elders Council and he knew nothing about her experience with them. Did she knew what he had been thinking when he saw her exposed neck with no marks? Did she know that his insane mind flitted to the instant thought of wanting to put a real hickey there? Did she know that he had been admiring how good she looked with her hair held off her face? What was wrong with him?

"I do not know the full prophesy, Alpha." Grene explained, capturing his attention. "Only Katarina does. For she prophesied it, while in a trance."

Milo met Grene's gaze. He didn't know shifters could prophesies. He didn't know they could go into trances. Was Katarina even a shifter? She had far too many unique qualities that had nothing to do with their people and none of their natural skills. It seemed Katarina was indeed special.

"What I do know is that the prophesy states that when Katarina and her true mate have children," he said, stabbing a knife into his gut. "her first born son will become the most powerful shifter of us all. With the choice of whether to crush us or raise us from the darkness of our secrecy." He explained what he knew.

Milo tried to ignore the rampaging jealousy that coursed through him, just thinking about another man giving Katarina children. It was stupid and insensible; what did he care?

"So...who is Katarina's true mate? And why is my father preventing her from being happy?" Milo wondered with a frown. Was he trying to stop her from having such a powerful son, or was he hoping that any mate would give her such powerful offspring? It would be just like his father to try.

"That is for your father to explain to you." Grene decided.

"Is this the reason Katarina refuses to take a mate?" He asked, not sure why that news bothered him so much. It just felt wrong for a shifter to refuse to take a mate.

"Yes. For Katarina, taking a mate that is not her true mate would be suicide. The grief would kill her in a matter of weeks unless united with one strong enough to endure her heartache and share it with her." Grene was honest with that, though it made him look sad.