Letter 4

Dear Pat,

I miss you.

It has been...a rough day. I know you said only the magical things but I am in need of some comfort today and every time I have felt low, I have come to you. I would have called but I know you are going to be on a plane to visit your friend for the weekend, so I will call later. Till then, I will mope around here.

They taught us something new today. And everyone else got the hang of it in the matter of minutes. I couldn't understand it no matter how hard I tried. I was close to tears in my fifth attempt to understand. It reminded me of the time when I was in first standard and I couldn't fit in the sentences into one line anymore. I could always do it up until that time. Then suddenly, I couldn't. I tried and I tried and I tried but I simply couldn't fit it in. I remember my eyes welling up. I cried silently through the entire class. I came to you and explained my heart's woes. And you gave me such a simple solution...'Just go on to the next line, baby.' And that is when I realized that it is okay. Things always get better.

Do you know when I thought of this? I took a local today. It was fairly empty because I left work late. And it hit me. The magnitude of everything. The fact that I wasn't in my city. The fact that I was not headed home to meet you. The fact that I was not doing well at something so early in my job. I sat there staring at foreign glimpses outside my window, turn by turn looking inside the train to find myself looking at people I didn't know. I felt so alone and homesick. That is when I thought of you. I thought of what you said to me all those years back and I smiled for the first time the whole day.

Three days and homesick...I wonder how I will feel if they post me here. I know I said I like this city and I do. I guess I didn't take into consideration the rough days.

I hope for a better day tomorrow. Both for you and me. <3

Much love,

L.

P.S. I still miss you.

Author's Note: It's been a while. Forgive me. I shall try to do better. – S