Letter 23

Dear Pat,

I have a confession to make. I love writing letters. It's so easy to say something in letters that is so much harder to say in person. I am glad you asked Lakshmi to write letters. It gave me the inspiration to tell her how I really feel about her.

Pat, I met your granddaughter by chance. The first time I saw her, I felt like I understood the reason why I never left Dada's guesthouse. It was so that she could walk in on me yelling at someone on the phone but think that I was yelling at her. It was so that she could introduce me to Gilmore girls while I made Maggi for her. How could I not? It was so that I could pick up the phone and rescue her when her wallet got lost. It was so that I walk with her and drink tea with her on the streets of Mumbai. It was so that I could catch a glimpse of her every morning and every night before and after work.

It was so that I could fall in love with her. To be honest, I think I was a goner from the beginning. I think I slipped the day she looked into my room, caught my gaze and waved at me.

Pat, she makes me happy. She brightens my day. Her smile makes me want to smile. In her presence, I feel like I finally reached home.

I hope to see you one day, Pat. With her. If she'll let me. Let's see what the future holds.

Until then,

Tanmay.