Letter 13

Dear Pat,

Ugh.

This day has just been miserable. You know how much Day 1 of period and cramps suck. I barely made it out of bed and crawled to work. I could barely pay attention to what the trainer was saying today. Sigh. I am going to have to remember to consult Megha and her notes again.

The ride back home was even yuckier. I know what you're going to say. Why didn't I just take a cab? I'll tell you why. It's because I'm stupid. It only occurred to me that I could even do that after I climbed the bus. And standing in a bus for an hour right under a leak in the roof is really not how I wanted to end the day, Pat. I really, really didn't.

I then walked into the house and just dumped my bag on the floor and flopped off on the sofa. Just for a few minutes I thought. I drew my knees closer to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I'd read somewhere that it helps with the pain. By then, the cramps were radiating to my calves and even oddly, the arch of my foot. I took a few calming deep breaths and then drifted off into a light sleep. It was what I needed at the hour of the day, I guess, Pat.

After a while, I felt a light pat on my shoulder. Then I heard my name. I blinked open my eyes and a pair of brown eyes came into focus. I blearily tried to focus my eyes on the gaze and had to blink a couple of times more to bring Tanmay into focus. I scrubbed my eye with the back of my hand and tried to get up but was not very successful. I winced as my stomach felt another painful cramp.

He asked concernedly, "What's wrong?"

I shook my head and tried to sit up. I said, "Nothing, I'm fine. I'm sorry I'm sleeping on the couch like this."

He raised an eyebrow and said, "So? Why can't you sleep on the couch?"

I shrugged my shoulders sheepishly and said, "I don't know. I should have napped in my own room, right? God, what time is it?"

He looked down at his watch and said, "It's nearing...10.30." He must have just come back from somewhere. He had a backpack on his shoulders which he lowered as he continued to look at me with concern.

He then asked, "You're not well. What's wrong? Do you need me to call a doctor?"

I then shook my head hurriedly and sat fully upright. I said, "No, no relax. Just a bad stomach ache."

As comprehension dawned on his face, he got an apologetic look on his face as he said, "Oh! Aw man. I'm sorry. Would you like some tea?"

I shook my head and said, "No, no please! You just got back home. You must be tired. I'll just..." With that, I tried to get up. Again not very successful, Pat. I sank down on the sofa. I then looked up at him and smiled a little sadly and said, "In just a little bit."

He looked heavenward and shook his head. He then looked down at me and said, "Sit." With that, he marched into the kitchen. I bit my lip and lay back on my back, perching my head on the cushy handle of the sofa. Ten minutes later, he came back with a tray in hand. I pushed myself up and leaned my back on the handle. I peered at the mugs in front of me. It didn't look like tea. I looked up at him and asked, "What's this?"

He smiled and said, "Hold on. One sec." With that, he again went to the kitchen. I felt bad, Pat. I said, "Listen, I already ate at work. I hope you're not cooking something. What are you..."

Before I could say anything else, he came back out and made his way to the sofa. He sat down easily on the same sofa in front of me and held something in front of me.

Pat, I think I was going to cry. I really was.

It was a hot water bag. And a shawl.

I don't get this guy. Where has he come from? How does he know all this?? Why? Pat, if I'm not careful, I will fall in love. Please send help!

I think my expressions were very...watery. He broke into a chuckle as he said, "Come on, I have a sister. I know how much relief this can provide. Take it."

I shakily took the hot water bag and put it on my stomach. Aw man. Pat. It was like the exhaustion of the day was getting released slowly. I could feel it seeping away from my bones. I sighed deeply. After a while, I opened my eyes and looked at him. He smiled at me.

I shook my head and said, "You...I don't know what to say. Thank you. You are so sweet!"

He smiled and said, "Stop. It's not a big deal at all. Um..." He pointed at the bag and said, "That can get very warm." He lifted the shawl and said, "Take this for insulation."

I lifted the bag and raised it high, grinning at him. He caught on. I think his eyes suddenly twinkled as he let out a laugh and came forward. He unfolded the shawl, draped it lightly on my shoulders and sat back. He then picked up one of the mugs and handed it to me.

I peered into it and caught a whiff of the drink. It looked like water but it smelled heavenly. It smelled of saffron. I asked, "What is this delicious smelling drink?"

He picked up his own mug and nodded to say, "I know right? It's Kashmiri Kahwa. Taste it."

I blew away the steam and took a sip. I savoured the essence and leaned back on the sofa. And to think, my day had been so exhausting. If I had known the end would be so relaxing, I would have braved it with a bigger smile.

I asked, "Does this have saffron?"

He took a sip from his own drink and said, "Yes, it does. Saffron, almonds, cinnamon, cloves. It's my favourite!"

I smiled and said, "I've never had it before. I am usually a milk tea drinker. This is new."

He propped up an arm on the back of the sofa and smiled to say, "I'm glad I was the one to introduce it to you. I also learned of it after I moved here."

Sitting here in a foreign city, sipping on new experiences and meeting new people, I couldn't help but feel content. And in that moment, I knew I had to say something.

So I looked at him and said, "I'm so happy to have met you."

He broke into that smile again, Pat. I couldn't resist. Before he could say anything, I said, "Also, has anyone ever told you that your smile is like a camera flash?"

He burst out laughing, Pat. I don't even know why.

When he stopped, with a smile, he said, "Ah Lakshmi...You...are like the sun. You beam so, so bright."

Pat!!

<3

More later.

All my love,

L.

P.S. I beam!!! :')

Author's Note: Hi guys,

I know! Again a big delay. But we're at the point in the story where a lot of careful consideration in required as to what happens next. Ergo the time taking is happening. I hope you enjoy this chapter and I'm grateful for all the support I get from you guys to keep going.

In other news, it's a new year! Yay! Happy new year! I hope you had a lovely 2018 and will have an even lovelier 2019!

Keep rocking!

S.