05: Onslaught

05: Onslaught

----------------

The next morning...

The moment your alarm clock rang, you jumped up from your bed and turned it off. Stretching, you whistled a happy tune and glances at the clock. 9:30.

I still have a few moments to prepare.

After taking a bath, you stood in front of the mirror, contemplating on what to wear. Finally, after a few moments of deliberation, you settled on a brown turtleneck sweater, a black and white checkered scarf, your inspector coat and dark jeans that were matched with your brown boots. You got your badge and stuffed it into your coat, just in case, grabbed your bag and walked into the cool winter air.

Since the East gate exit was just a few blocks away, you decided to walk. It seems like it snowed last night, since the street was covered in thin white sheets, and a few people were clearing the sidewalk from the snow. Children were having snowball fights, as usual, while a few other got their sleds to ride down the somewhat empty streets. As you walked, you saw a little girl, wrapped in her winter gear, crying on the sidewalk.

You stiffened as a board, suddenly having a flashback.

"Onii-chan... onii-chan where are you...?"

You shook your head vigorously, not wanting to remember anything else. Since you were a little concerned for what a child was doing alone on the streets, you approached the girl and with a calming voice, asked, "Hey, kiddo. What's wrong?"

The girl looked up at you reluctantly. "Mr. Kuma..." she muttered. A look of confusion went over your face. "Ha?"

Slowly, without speaking, the girl pulled out a ripped teddy bear from her back. It was obviously new, since the fur was still soft and its eyes were still shiny, but its head was detached to its body, the stuffing coming out. Gasping, memories came flowing into your mind, memories you were trying to hold back.

A ripped teddy bear. A blood-stained scarf. A gun, and a knife dripping with blood.

A dead man, your eyes wide in horror, your hands shaking, surprised at what you just did. The knife was in your arms, still intact with the chest of the man you just stabbed. Several other knife stabs were scattered on his body. Blood splattered all over the place.

On the floor, on the walls, and even on your face.

This was your first time killing, but not your last.

You shouted, stumbling back a little, surprising the girl, who also let out a scream. A woman, probably the girl's mother, came out of the store. When she saw the girl with you, she immediately got the child's hand and dragged her away, in between scoldings of 'didn't I tell you not to talk to strangers?!'