14: Torment

Aaaaand here's the rewrite I've been talking about. I hope you'll find time to read it. Enjoy the update!

14: Torment

----------------

Crimson eyes watched as a van skidded through the snow-filled streets. Izaya's head cocks to follow the vehicle as it turned the corner, before completely disappearing from sight. He frowns, they've done it again. Those damn Royals were a step ahead of him again. He snaps his phone shut, before shoving it back into his pocket with an angry pout.

His plans were ruined.

Again.

Oh, the mere thought of it gave him a migraine.

He turned his heel to exit towards the other side of the alleyway, ignoring the sound of a siren wailing in a distance. He takes a deep breath in and lets it out through his nostrils, puffing his cheeks out as he did. No, he didn't want to be angry. That would be immature. This was a game, and he had to be a sport whenever the enemy scored.

Of course, that meant he had to be scoring his own points as well.

Once he was around upstreet, a fair distance from Raira, Izaya brought out his phone once again and began to scroll his contacts. Any new players that he could add? Pawns that could be easily disposed? So far, none.

Oh, for the love of--

His thoughts were then interrupted when his phone rang. It was a blocked number, but Izaya answered it anyway.

"Pleased to hear my voice again, Orihara?"

His blood went cold as ice.

"I would be even more pleased if you would show that face of yours, Masaoka." Izaya said, slight annoyance hidden behind his playful tone. A deep, bellowing laugh came from the other line, "Well, I can see your face too well, Orihara. I suppose you won't be able to see mine from this distance."

Izaya's head involuntarily turned around. A stupid move, he wouldn't be in such a obvious place now, would he?

"I must say, you look like a helpless ant right now."

That laugh again. Izaya felt a shiver go down his spine, a sure proof that he was being watched. But if Masaoka could see him right now, then that must mean...

"...You've escaped, haven't you?"

"Yes I have. It's lonely in that hospital ward, you know? I kinda missed mingling with your little humans."

Now, the fact that Masaoka had escaped from his mental ward was no surprise to Izaya. In fact, the raven was even more surprised to see that the man had only thought of escaping now. Needless to say, he wasn't surprised but... well, he wasn't really expecting it either.

"I'm sure you've missed being in the outside world." Izaya replied, beginning to walk again, in an attempt to shake off the uneasy feeling of being watched. "Yet I advise you to enjoy these little moments of freedom, it wouldn't be long before the police throw you back into a little jail cell especially for you."

"...Police? Oh...

...You meant dear little (Name)-san?"

Izaya stopped walking yet again. "How did--"

"Ah, a sweet young lady she is. Have you fallen for her, Orihara?" Masaoka's tone was dangerously low now, as if he was purposely tormenting Izaya. "Hm, I guess not. But she's still one of your weaknesses, isn't she?"