Who Are You?

Dick was running out of supplies. He took a drag from his cigarette as he navigated his was through the Bludhaven streets. Is was a nasty habit, he knew, but it was the only thing that helped when he got overwhelmed.

Dick didn't really plan to escape the court, but after he had failed to kill his target, well...He fled. They were going to freeze him. That's what happens when you fail, as the court does not tolerate failure. Honestly, he'd rather die than be frozen again. You can't move at all, but your mind is fully conscious, trapped inside your body. All you can do is stare and try to count how long it's been. Days? Hours? Years? He never knew. They only ever took him out when it was relevant. He was their tool and if the tool broke, they'd "fix" it.

Broken...that sounds about right.

Dick felt empty...guilty. He was nothing now.

All the people he'd killed, the lives he'd ruined...murderer...

Dick hesitated in his step, taking a quick glance around.  Nobody seemed to notice or seemed to be aware of his pause.

He knew he shouldn't blame himself, he was under the control of the court. He was forced to do these things. It wasn't his fault, He was just trying to survive...guilty...

Trying not to delve into this now, he looked down and let his feet guide him. It didn't really matter where he went. As long as he stopped thinking.

It's not like he enjoyed it...right?...monster....

With a sigh he sat down at a park bench. He hadn't been paying attention to where he was walking. He was just wandering the streets, no real destination in mind. Thankfully, it was around 6pm, so not many people were there. 'Good,' he thought, 'At least they won't be tortured by the sight of my skin...or eyes.'

He remembered what happened the last time someone saw his eyes. He shuddered at the memory....freak...

He didn't really go out in public anymore, because of the modifications the court did did to his eyes. Plus, the sun really hurt them with their night-sensitivity, so now he had to wear sunglasses everywhere. Great. Dick sat there for a few hours, finally deciding it was time to go. He needed to be back at the warehouse before 9pm.
--------------------------------------line-break-----------------------------------------------------

Back at the warehouse, Dick changed out of his day clothes and into his costume. It wasn't much, just another version of his Talon outfit. It just had less weapons. Slipping into the black body-suit, he reached out and grabbed his mask off the couch. He decided to trade in his owl mask for something simpler, one that covers the eyes and a bit of cheek. Not that anyone would find out his identity if he didn't wear one. He had been 'dead' for ten years now. Well, at least according to the police.

Dick still hadn't decided on a name. He wasn't Talon anymore, and he's not a 'good guy' either. Nothing like those 'heroes' in the news. Dick snorted softly. 'Self-sacrificing idiots,' he thought.

His name can wait though, it wasn't important until people started to notice he actually existed. Right now, they think he's a myth. Haha.

Dick scurried around his 'living space,' looking for his mirror. He wanted to make sure his eyes and veins were hidden. He really didn't want to have that conversation with anyone right now. Wait...scratch that, he didn't ever want to have that conversation. Finding the mirror leaning up against the wall, he quickly glanced over himself, making sure everything was in order before slipping out the broken window.
---------------------------------------line-break--------------------------------------------------

The night air felt cool on his skin as he jumped across the rooftops. He didn't know what he would do tonight, but as long as he's useful to someone, somewhere, and can make them breathe in relief because they're safe...that would be enough. This vigilante-saving-people-thing had become some kind of redemption for him. Running around and saving people instead of killing them; it was almost therapeutic.

Halfway through his route he heard a scream, and runs to the closest roof to investigate. Dropping silently onto the fire escape, he sees a man -most likely drunk- pointing a knife at a woman. Climbing up and over the railing he drops down behind the man. The man doesn't seem to notice as he stalks forward towards the woman, snarling.

Dick quickly runs up behind him and wraps his arm behind his throat, choking him. The man, surprised, begins to flail at the loss of air and stabs the knife into Dick's side. Dick doesn't even flinch, and drops the man into the cold pavement where he succumbs to darkness.

Dick left the knife in his side, he really didn't want to bleed all over the place in front of the lady. He approaches the woman. He gives her a thumbs up and thumbs down while pointing to her. The woman snaps out of her daze and thanks Dick multiple times, tears of relief gathering in her eyes. Dick feels happiness washing over him. Just as he's wanted. But then she asks a question he can't answer with gestures alone. A question he didn't have an answer for at all.

"Who are you?"

Hello, it's rachel!!! This chapter is finally up!!
just wanted to let you know that Dick, in this story, is a selective mute. So any "talking" he does, is in his head as thoughts. He is also 17 years old.