Keep Your Friends Close...

"Blah" is Jason and Dick's mind link

'Blah' is thought

"Blah" is talking

======LineBreak

Robin was watching the med-bay security cameras alongside the rest of the Team. They'd been waiting hours for the unconscious man to awaken. Batman wanted to interrogate him on his affiliation with the Red Hood as soon as possible, and honestly, so did the Team. They're all curious as to who this guy was.

Tim hadn't told anyone yet, but the hero looked eerily familiar to someone he'd met once before. Now, he wasn't sure if they were the same person. The last time Tim had seen the man he'd been a small child, and the man had been a young boy. He was praying they weren't the same person because the boy his father introduced him to had been a monster.

It could've been the hint of blue that shone in his ebony hair, or the pale white skin he wore that sparked Tim's memory. That made him notice how similar they were in the first place. He just hoped it was a crazy coincidence because the boy Tim met should be dead. Well, at least that's what his father had told him.

======LinkBreak

~FlashbacK~

The room held dozens of metal cages, each one varying in size. The dimly lit room gave only enough light to see a few feet in front of you, as to not damage the merchandise. The pair walked silently through the room, eyeing each cage carefully. Inside each pen was prized weaponry, and the purchase of one must be made very carefully. The Man walked closely beside each enclosure, gazing inside for a few seconds before moving on. There was a certain item that he was looking for, one that was very rare and expensive.

A young boy wandered to each cage, eyes wide as he read the name tags tied to the bars. The man watched him roam, keeping a close eye on his only son.

The young boy caught sight of a small cage tucked away in one of the corners and waddled towards it. "Papa, is this one ours?" The young child, no older than eight asked, pointing to the rusted metal.

Inside the cage was a pitiful sight -or it could be to some. The thing inside was wearing metal cuffs and a jagged collar that tore at it's skin. It's hair was black and filthy, and it's eyes were an eerie yellow. The thing watched every movement the two people made with a blank expression.

"Yes, it's ours, Timmy." The Father replied proudly, sparing a glance at the tag on the enclosure.

"Why do we have him? Can he come out and play with me?" Timmy questioned and peered in through the rusted bars. He went to poke the creature but his Father's hand came down upon his, stopping the movement.

"No, you can't play with it. Its purpose here is to keep us safe. It doesn't have time to play." His Father answered, watching the chained object inside with mild disgust.

Timmy removed his small hands from the steel bars, watching sadly at the boy inside. "Can he at least come out? He looks sad in there," he asked and shifted to look at his Father, eyes moistening.

"No, Timmy, he can't." The Father pointed to the chained boy, who merely watched them converse, his expression remaining blank. "He is a weapon, a killer. Do not forget it. You can use a spear as a walking stick, but that will not change its nature."

Timmy glanced up at his Papa, a look of understanding in his eyes. "I won't forget." He looked back at the boy and smiled at him. "Can you tell me your name?" Timmy asked the strange boy.

His Father grew angry at the question. "You're a smart kid Timmy, I want you to always remember that. But one day, this thing will be yours to command, and you need to understand that it's only purpose is to kill. You must show it no kindness. It will only take advantage of that and hurt you in the end."