A Mother's Love

"We do what we must for those we care for, even if it means sacrificing ourselves to do it." -Me  

Mary Grayson was a beautiful woman. She held such a natural talent for the spotlight, that any room became her room the moment she stepped into it. Her grace was unrivaled. The slow, seductive sway of her hips as she walked, the careful distribution of weight through her muscled legs and out to her feet. Unrivaled and unmatched. The way she cared for her child, that unwavering gaze, filled to the brim with as much love a mother could give. Mary Grayson was a beautiful woman, but only on the outside. Inside, Mary Grayson was angry and scared. Guilty of what she had done, and what she still needed to do. But this fact was know to little, that's why, when the Grayson's fell, nobody ever expected it to be out of love.

======LINEBREAK

Mary Grayson, at the ripe old age of twenty-five, knew her son was going to die, and that it would be her fault. It was his purpose. It was the reason she carried him in her womb for nine months. Her son had to die in order to live, and she was content with that. At least, that's what she kept telling herself.

"Mami, when can I fly with you and Dad?" He little child, Dick, asked, looking up at her with bright, happy eyes. He was so small. Much smaller than other kids his age. He was hers, her Little Robin.

"Soon Dickie. What about tonight? It is opening night after all. Don't you think we should give Gotham a little present?" She cooed, reaching down to pick Dick up and set him on her lap, "Wouldn't that be exciting?" She smiled.

Mary Grayson might have been angry inside, but everyone had a soft spot, and Dick was hers.

"Really!" His face lit up in excitement and he smiled brightly, "Can I? I've been practicing everyday! I know I can do it!" He rambled, squirming with excitement.

"I know, I've seen how hard you've been working, and Dad has too. That's why we agreed to let you fly with us tonight," Mary explained, though her voice sounded almost solemn in a way, "Do you want to fly with us tonight?"

"Yes! It's going to be so much fun! Can I go tell Raya Mami? Can I?" Dick squealed, nearly bursting with excitement.

"Of course you can. Why don't you show her the routine too," Mary suggested as Dick hopped down from her lap, bouncing lightly on his feet.

"Okay Mami! Bye," he yelled, cartwheeling away from his mother.

"Goodbye, my Little Robin," Mary whispered, watching her son's back fade into the distance.

Once Dick could no longer be seen, Mary rose gracefully from her seat and made her way towards the back of the trailer cars, taking the same route as last night. Today's the day.

"Father, I know you're there. What do you want?" She asked, her voice no longer the sound of honey. Instead, it was cold. Dead.

A figure moved out of the shadows, "I'm here, my child, to make sure you are still following the plan," he spoke.

Mary growled harshly, "You doubt me? After all I've done for you?" She hissed, stepping towards the figure.

"No, no, I don't doubt you," the figure spoke, walking forward slightly, the different ornaments he wore tinkling as he moved, "I'm merely here to judge your resolve. You know how much the Court hates failure," He reprimanded.

"Of course Father. Everything is in order. Richard will fly with us tonight," Mary replied coolly.

"Good. Now, let us celebrate later, for tonight, Gotham shall claim her Gray Son," He added, raising his palm to the sky.

=======LINEBREAK

It was almost time. Soon she'd celebrate with William Cobb, her Father. She'd celebrate the death of her son. Her son, not Gotham's. But could she? Richard was good and pure. He was everything she wasn't. Dick looked so much like her, and yet, was more like his father. Kind, honest, dependable.

No, she wouldn't celebrate. She'd mourn. She'd mourn the loss of an innocent soul, destined to become a monster. What kind of mother would allow that to happen? To her only child nonetheless.

Everything was in place. It's not like Mary could stop it from happening. Nothing could stop the Court from getting her son. It was in his blood. But maybe, maybe she could delay it. The Court could take her instead. All she had to do was switch a few ropes.

======LINEBREAK

"MAMI!" She heard him scream. Everything was moving in slow motion, yet all she could focus on was Dick's face. She felt John latch onto her, covering her body with his, but she knew it wouldn't help. They were to high up.

"DICK!" Mary yelled back, stretching her arm out wide. Dick's fingers brushed against hers, nearly causing him to fall as well. Tears had already begun to well up in his eyes. He knew what happened next.

Mary relaxed, and let the weightlessness take over her, allowing gravity it's final trick. And even though he was getting smaller and smaller, she kept her eyes locked with Dick's. It was the only thing she could do to comfort him.

John tightened his grip around her and Mary saw the fear in his eyes. He didn't want to die, and Mary was robbing him of life. How cruel. It was the only way. The only way to keep Dick safe.

How ironic, she could see the news headers now, "The Flying Grayson's fall in the Flight of Death."

"I'm sorry," She whispered into her husband's ear, "It was the only way."

She had to die in order for her son to live.

======LINEBREAK

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path." -Agatha Christie

======LINEBREAK

Hello everyone! If you have't realized it yet, this chapter ties in with the first one! Yes, I did a loop thing. I only wrote this because it plays an important part later on in the story.

What did you think of it? Did you like how it was in Mary's POV? Did that surprise you? Let me know in the comments below! (Heh, that rhymed)

Hmm, I don't really know what to say know. I'm going to update again before Monday, and I'll explain why after. Let's just say there will be a chapter labeled 'IMPORTANT INFORMATION' popping up in the next few days.

I HIGHLY suggest that you read it.

It's REALLY, REALLY important.

Til next time,

Rachel