Chapter 19: I Am Damaged

BANG!

I screamed loudly, as a loud gunshot went off. There was a pause, a somewhat long moment of hesitation. Travis and I, stared each other dead in the eye. One of of us had gotten shot, and I knew who...

Just then, Travis dropped to his knees, clutching his stomach. The gun fell at his side, as large amounts of blood poured from his chest. I gasped, backing away a little.

"Was that good for you?" Travis eyed me, breathing heavy. " 'Cause it kinda sucked for me..."

And with that, Travis collapsed onto the ground, his breathing staggering. I panicked for a second, before remembering the damn bomb! I ran over, kneeling by Travis' side. I began shaking his shoulders, looking for a response.

"Travis? Just listen to me, just listen to me, okay? Just listen to me, it's over, okay? Which wire do I pull? Travis, which wire do I pull?!" I continued shaking him, obviously panicking.

He turned his head to face me, his skin somewhat pale. His eyes bore no expression, as he just stared back at me. Mouth shut. I silently cursed under my breath, standing to my feet.

I staggered over to the bomb, knowing what I had to do. I struggled to pick it up, seeing it was much heavier than I anticipated. I held it close to my chest, as I started out the door. The ticking of the timer, messing with my head and thoughts. But, since I didn't exactly have my diary on me, might as well just leave a mental entry.

"Dear Diary, the irony of this, is that I never got to write my own suicide note."

~

I walked as fast as I could manage up to the football field. Thankfully, I wasn't stopped and questioned about anything in particular. Not on how disheveled and beat up I looked, or even about the medium-sized bomb-like object I was sneakily caring.

Such good school security. Though, I couldn't exactly blame them. After all, who cares about the safety of a large mass of people, when you're busy with an assembly for sports, that some people- like me- have no interest in whatsoever? That's society for you... Fuck, I'm starting to sound like Travis.

I looked down at the bomb, seeing that there wasn't too much time left on the timer. I sighed, walking a little further. I got a few more paces, before I heard something. Or rather, someone.

"Smart boy. Bring the trigger bomb out here to the football field and nobody dies. Except you, if you keep holding onto that thing."

I turned around, to find myself facing Travis. He clutched his stomach, hand soaked in his own blood. He had a small limp in his step, as he struggled to walk over to me. I backed away, holding the bomb closer to myself.

"I don't deserve to live," I weakly spoke, continuing to stay as far away as I could from Travis.

"I respectfully…disagree," he stated, with a blank expression. He gestured me to stop. "Give it to me."

"Stay away from me," I muttered, as he inched closer to me.

I fell onto my ass, after tripping over something. Travis fell to the ground as well, but that was due to how weak he was, probably. He crawled towards me, and I merely cradled the bomb to my chest.

(***)

"Or what?" He spoke softly, his voice draining. "I am damaged, far too damaged... But you're not beyond repair... Stick around here, make things better, 'cause you beat me fair and square..."

My grip on the trigger bomb loosened a little, and Travis stole it from my grasp. He shakily stood up, backing away. And, I swear for just a moment, I saw real tears in his eyes.

"Please stand back now," he gestured me to back away. I shakily stood up, taking a few, small steps back. "Little further...
Don't know what this thing will do..."

I backed further away, biting my lip. Travis looked down at the bomb he held, letting out a small chuckle. He glanced back up at me, as tears fell from his dim, green eyes. So, I wasn't just seeing things...

"Hope you miss me. Wish you'd kiss me. Then you'd know I worship you," Travis spoke, repeating things we've said before... Though, this time, they had a different meaning. "I'll trade my life for yours…"

"Oh my Irene..," I let out a small gasp, trying to avoid crying.

"And once I disappear..," he continued, looking up at the sky.

"Wait, hold on!" I held a hand out to him, but he just shook his head.

"Clean up the mess down here."

"Not this way!" I exclaimed, shaking my head.

"Our love is Divine," he weakly smiled, stumbling a little where he stood. I wiped my eyes, as Travis outstretched his arms, returning his gaze, to look at me. I watched the timer of the bomb, begin to tick down.

14...

"Our love is Divine."

11...

"Our love is Divine."

8...

"Our love is Divine..!"

2...

I gave Travis a weak and forced smile, and waved goodbye. Softly I spoke, "say 'hi' to Irene..."

BOOM!

~~~